Who wants to hunt unicorns?

SilverFly

Our Sunday albacore trip was cancelled, which means we're one short again (sorry Steve!). However, Monday is looking do-able, if "bumpy". The nearshore forecast looks better so I suggested we might do something crazy, like, oh, I dunno, TRY TO CATCH ONE OF THE 200# BLUEFIN TUNA THAT ARE OUT THERE!

This was posted on another board the other day, and the source is verified (with more details shared with the charter we're fishing with).

Albacore and giant tuna thick off the Columbia

Green water short of the chloro break was full of jumping and eating albacore yesterday. Me and Jen plugged the little striper yesterday by about 1. Friend plugged his boat 6 miles north of us. We we're a little south at the 124 47 area but fish were jumping for miles out there and we were alone all morning. A commercial troller moved in by the time we left.

The albacore bit everything, bait iron of every type and every troll rod we put out after getting worn out on bait and jig stops. The two of us couldn't keep 4-5 troll rods in the water, reeling in on the go they hit everything with multiple rods going off almost constantly.

On the way in we found the big boys but couldn't land them. Three times between the 30 and 25 line running in we found big tuna the size of small cars busting bait and jumping clear out of the water, unreal. Just like we found out of San Diego last November. We had dumped our live bait for the run in and couldn't get close to these skiddish fish. Got a hookup on a swimbait on a 25n reel with close to 30# of drag and couldn't slow the fish down and broke the leader finally.

Tried way back trolling but these fish sounded when the boat got close. If the bait tank was full and we found these guys on the way out we might have had a chance to dump a ton of bait and use big 2 speeds with big circle hooks like we do down south. We just didn't have the way to do it on the way in. Any of our casting stuff was way too light for these big fish.

But wait! there's more!!! Yellowtail, aka "Hamachi" are being caught out there as well:

1570231338463.png

To sweeten the deal one of the guys has access to a friend's rental house in Rockaway. Only cost is splitting the cleaning fee. I've stayed there before and it's very nice and only 20 minutes from the marina in Garibaldi.

Capt Randy is heading down tomorrow and is bringing the big guns to the boat in case we do make it out Monday. Of course albacore aren't completely off the table since they are often encountered in the green water much closer to shore. And weather permitting we could do a run further out to put some albies on deck, and of course check any kelp paddies or logs we see for yellowtail.

Last edited:

SilverFly

Man, you're speaking a foreign language to me... The only salty fish I've ever caught was those purple Largemouth bass!
I'm guessing you're referring to black rockfish. Love those things. Great fly rod fish too.

The forecast (as always) is changing and looks like we might have a more standard albacore trip, or a mixed albie/bluefin hunt on Monday (oddly, puny tuna further out vs gorilla tuna much closer in). The charter can likely fill the seat with a standby if we're after albacore but hard to get someone to commit to a bluefin hunt while it's still not a thing in the PNW. The crazy thing is everyone knows the big tuna are out there, and in substantial numbers, but nobody wants to gamble on a long shot when albacore are almost a sure thing. That will change after somebody pulls it off. At this point the seat is still open.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck....

god dammit!!!! I have a crazy week at work.....god dammit, Guy, you're killin' me! Oh, and since I recently started up on a new gig, it's unlikely I'd be able to go anyway.....buuuut, god dammit!!!

SilverFly

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck....

god dammit!!!! I have a crazy week at work.....god dammit, Guy, you're killin' me! Oh, and since I recently started up on a new gig, it's unlikely I'd be able to go anyway.....buuuut, god dammit!!!
LOL. No worries. Next year we'll be ready for them. I dont think this is a fluke so much as a return to a faint glimmer of what PNW bluefin were in the past. Not to toot my horn too much, but I pretty much called this scenario back in July.

Also think we have the seat filled. Just need a decent forecast now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JS

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
well, I've got the rod pretty much dialed....a beefy 12+ (ish) weight glass that'll put the screws to damn near anything and no, it will never break. Just need to upgrade the reel from the pitiful little SA System 2 10/11 and Behemoth....both of which "only" hold around 300 yds of 65 lb Power Pro....haha! nah, I think I'm mostly ready. If something gets past all that shit, it's fucking EARNED it!

SilverFly

well, I've got the rod pretty much dialed....a beefy 12+ (ish) weight glass that'll put the screws to damn near anything and no, it will never break. Just need to upgrade the reel from the pitiful little SA System 2 10/11 and Behemoth....both of which "only" hold around 300 yds of 65 lb Power Pro....haha! nah, I think I'm mostly ready. If something gets past all that shit, it's fucking EARNED it!
You've got albacore covered, but you'll be amazed how fast 300 yds can disappear like happened to me in 2015. I can't upgrade from the Tibor Pacific with 1200yds of 50# backing but the 14wt it's paired with is a barbie rod for tuna over 100#. I really need to consider a 16wt if the bluefin continue to rebound.

Last edited:

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I'd be down, Sage 16wt Able supper 14 with 1400yrds gsp, + a 13wt and a Mako(needs backing) and a 12wt with a Maga loop.

But I have to work as another manager is off. Next year me and Denwr54 should go!

SilverFly

I'd be down, Sage 16wt Able supper 14 with 1400yrds gsp, + a 13wt and a Mako(needs backing) and a 12wt with a Maga loop.

But I have to work as another manager is off. Next year me and Denwr54 should go!
OK, so I'm not the only one with a big fish problem ;) . Yes, absolutely next year. I tried to get Denwor54 out earlier last month but we were screwed by the weather yet again.

Dennis and I have had some extensive discussions on the topic and were working out some ideas to try if we get into a similar pattern with the bluefin showing. The first large fish were caught early this year starting with a 120# bluefin caught on August 12th. Unfortunately, the prime time for the large fish, based on tagging data and sport/commercial reports, is September and October. The fall weather is sketchy but at least the large tuna are much closer in on the hard chlorophyll break.

The "foamers" encountered earlier this week were only 5-ish miles out from the CR jetty tips. To be fair those fish would require serious conventional gear and may be entirely outside the realm of fly fishing. What I have been hoping for is the most common age class bluefin that have been caught in SoCal to show up here in fishable #'s. Those fish typically run in the 40-60# pound range which are realistic fly targets. Also suspect thats what spooled me in 2015.

DenWor54

Unfortunately I have to work also, you had to pick the one day I have to be no flexibility. Hey bk Paige, I think you me wade, and bhudda would be a fun trip. I have extra sticks if someone needs some. Thanks silverfly for the invite, tight lines
Denwor54.

SilverFly

Unfortunately I have to work also, you had to pick the one day I have to be no flexibility. Hey bk Paige, I think you me wade, and bhudda would be a fun trip. I have extra sticks if someone needs some. Thanks silverfly for the invite, tight lines
Denwor54.
Forecast Monday toyed with us until late today when the no-go was called. Long range looks good for next week so might try again. Assuming same crew is still in but not confirmed yet. I did go down to help with some routine maintenance on the boat and we tried for chinook after. No salmon but we did get 19 big ocean crabs in 2 pots.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info