Trip Report Forks Trip 9-30-through 10-15 Update

Bentley

The past 5 days have been fairly typical for my partner and I regarding wading and Spey casting in the Forks area. Early morning and late afternoon has resulted in either one or both of us hooking Coho. Landing this fall has been a challenge. Some usual stuff with nasty coastal fish. Hook comes loose at your feet, thrown hook in the air, broke off at the loop knot, head come unglued due to wear of snags of running line. One new way, in my experience, was my partner had a large Coho land on his leader and break off half the tippet below the blood knot. He was using 15# test. Go figure. We took one guided drift boat trip during this period so far. This was on the Hoh after it was “on fire” the day before. Tough for fly fisherman in the rain and fish that did not like flies. Thanks for SRC and Bull that kept us persistent. Took us 3/4 of the day to hook up and land salmon. I was 1 for 2 on Coho. My partner landed a 25# Chinook, the full up and down river story takes too much time to tell. Lots of talk on this site on drag vs. gear and pawl. Used my SH rod an old 3-5/8 Perfect on my Coho. Those around me thought it was broke. Probably a drag would be better for those that want to land their fish. I like the initial free run and chaos as well as the palming challenge. This morning (Saturday) we went to the “popular bar” in the area in the dark to get to Spey cast our favorite spot. Lots of wading gear guys and an armada of drift boats showed up as expected. Took us a while to understand why a group of trucks parked at the national park sign but their occupants walk 100 or so yards down stream to fish. After every fish landed was brought back up to their vehicles, and they then returned to the line of downstream fishermen, did we figure it out that they Must Be all hatchery fish. We did see the PoPo active later on. Oh well, back on one of the rivers, yet to be determined, later this afternoon till dusk. One more week remains.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
I have seen poachers catching/snagging salmon, taking their fish back to the truck and joining the line up to do it again and again. then after three or four fish someone speaks up about the poaching and the asshats leave.
Just the reason I don't go for combat fishing.

Jonathan Tachell

Are you the guy that "swings" the top of Richwine every fall? The guy I am thinking of flosses and snags salmon swinging fly gear and gets really upset when someone takes his spot while fighting a snagged salmon down river for 30 minutes.

Bentley

Are you the guy that "swings" the top of Richwine every fall? The guy I am thinking of flosses and snags salmon swinging fly gear and gets really upset when someone takes his spot while fighting a snagged salmon down river for 30 minutes.
No I am not that guy and do not floss. Yes my buddy and I (two old farts that are addicted to fly fishing) fish Forks in the fall. Yes the bar is only one of the places. We do not fish this sportsmen's riffle at the end of the bar when fish are running up. Most of the Coho & Chinook we hook are at the far bank at the upper or middle river. They typically “peal off to chase” since that cast is very hard for a spey guy to put in the bank when the river is up as it is today. Fair hooked Coho and Chinook do run a bit, but not 30 minutes. Yes, a stiff spinning rod or casting rod and geared reel significantly controls these aggressive fish more than a limber fly. As for the boys that show up later for their spots downstream, most are very agreeable to let us pass when an occasionally fish is on and we are backing up to the bank behind their spot. If not, then get their early like we do. But, it does not appear we must gear fish. That said, I full understand the gear fisherman spacing and do not ever enter a line up. Surrounded later does not occur often to be the case you describe.

Jonathan Tachell

Glad you are not who I was thinking of. The gentleman I was talking about is probably closer to 50 years old. Really gives anglers of all types a bad name. Glad you guys are having fun and catching fish. Hopefully the park rangers have not been bugging people down there to much this year. Good luck and tight lines.

Bentley

Glad you are not who I was thinking of. The gentleman I was talking about is probably closer to 50 years old. Really gives anglers of all types a bad name. Glad you guys are having fun and catching fish. Hopefully the park rangers have not been bugging people down there to much this year. Good luck and tight lines.
Thanks Johnathan. Today we were in a drift boat vs. wading for a change. Learned a lot about how to cast & strip our flies to pods of fresh cruising Coho. If not line spooked, the chase was nearly to the boat.

Latest posts