Vibrax blue fox fly equivalent

cmann886

Wow even got the propeller. Fly looks great. Materials list?
Flashabou—-typically blue and silver
Wow even got the propeller. Fly looks great. Materials list?
Head--bead chain eyes or propeller followed by tungsten cone head when deeper swing is needed.

Body is Blue and typically silver flashabou---in these two I used gold because I am out of silver.

"Thorax" on these I used a puffball from a craft store---usually I use craft fur and make a small ball to make a wider profile as the flashabou has to move around the ball.

The hook is wrapped with a contrasting thread color to provide a lateral line of some sort.

I use less flashabou than what you see in Jim's photo, which is the original design of the Pixie Pirate. The purpose of these two variations is to get a wider profile/move more water than in the original design and to make the fly more transluscent. I have never used one with the propeller, but thought that would be a good addition if the goal was to make it a spinner.

DenWor54

You inspired me to to look thru my old stock of salmon flies to find a fly that I called a flashlight/vibrax substitute. Could not find the box so I tied one up. This fly is tied reverse spider style with holographic flashabou. I tied it in silver,chartreuse,blue,pink and olive.D5EC6901-4285-4CDA-A6B5-D06AF8DBEA55.jpeg

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
You inspired me to to look thru my old stock of salmon flies to find a fly that I called a flashlight/vibrax substitute. Could not find the box so I tied one up. This fly is tied reverse spider style with holographic flashabou. I tied it in silver,chartreuse,blue,pink and olive.View attachment 213747
You change the flashabou or just dubbin for other colors?

SilverFly

Has anyone tied a pattern with one of these in mind or know of one?
Can't find a pic of but I tied one a couple years ago that was basically a reversed spider using 1/4" wide strips of thick Mylar gift wrapping ribbon for the "hackle". It used a reversed cone head to force the Mylar strips forward and give it some weight for "jig twitching" type action. Think it was on a 3/0 saltwater hook. Flashed like a SOB. Nothing subtle about it. Never hooked anything on it though.

However this fly, I'm calling a mega comet, has been good to me on late run silvers.

20171112_110807.jpg

Latest posts