Flies vs Lures

JamesRPL+

U must be a fan of Tom Brady.

Not really, just get tired of down holeing gear guys or the jerks on the rivers who sit til they crap themselves before leaving a hole or jump in when beach casting as you dress your catch. Many reasons but the name of this site kinda says it all?

landlocked

Trying to figure out where mousin’ falls in all of this. Somewhere between between pitching stick Carolina rigs for largemouth and size 22 tricos on 7x to picky Silver Creek sippers I suppose.

drysideshooter

First time poster, long time lurker. I think this is a really interesting thread. I grew up and spent 33 years in Alaska, and developed an enjoyment for all types of fishing, including fly fishing. My wife and I are fortunate that we get to spend an average of 5 days a week fishing somewhere in the NW more often than not, and we travel extensively to fish. We met fly fishing, so it holds a special place for both of us.

Fly fishing is our favorite, by far. We find it the most relaxing and satisfying as well as the most thrilling when there is a takedown. That being said, we both also gear fish, including centrepin. We own a boat and enjoy that as well as bank fishing, hike in fishing, etc. We tend to fish what we have the most confidence in for a given day, area or run. Normal default is to find a way to fish it with a fly if it makes sense.

What I don't understand is the snobbery that seems to be getting more prevalent with regard to fly fishing. Recently my wife and I were fishing for salmon and steelhead. There was a well known lady fly fisher not far from me, and I was catching coho on BC Spoons and large spinners while she wasn't getting anything. She had seen my wife take off earlier with her fly pole and she asked why my wife "hadn't converted me to the higher form of fishing yet?" She assumed that since I was gear fishing at the time, that must be all I do, and she said it in a rather snarky manner. I seem to run in to that more and more these days. Even when I'm fly fishing others will make negative comments about "gear guys". Some don't want to acknowledge the similarity of gear guys using a float and them using a strike indicator. Don't get me started on beads, so many ways to fish them with a variety of tackle.

My wife tends to be much more persistent when it comes to fly fishing. She sticks with it longer than I do most days. If I'm not catching fish, and I'm confident there are some fish there after trying the patterns I believe make sense, and I've had some good presentations, I will usually switch over to gear. We had some days on the Wallowa last year where the fishing was slow on flies, but they were eagerly attacking micro spoons. Still a lot more fun, in my mind, to catch smaller trout on a 2 or 3 weight than even a good ultralight spinning rod though.

I say fish what you enjoy and have the most confidence in, unless you just enjoy one style so much you don't have an interest in doing it any other way. To each their own.

Rogue Fanatic

"She assumed that since I was gear fishing at the time, that must be all I do, and she said it in a rather snarky manner. I seem to run in to that more and more these days. Even when I'm fly fishing others will make negative comments about "gear guys".

I get that a lot too. I have been lectured to by numerous fly guys who, among other things, incorrectly identified a coho as a king, and a bright chum as a coho. There are no zealots like the recently converted...

Ryan Higgins

I do both, well used to. I prefer to fly fish for winter Steelhead vs using gear and with my local rivers closing (most likely for good in my lifetime) I lost interest. There is no way I could Bass fish like I do with fly gear, it would be an effort in futility. For Salmon I will use both, but again prefer the fly. For whatever reason it just feels better to me when fishing flies for anadromous species, but I havent actively pursued any in many years now.

drysideshooter

I think "zealot" was a pretty appropriate term Rogue Fanatic! Maybe my wife and I are rednecks, or hillbillies or something, but we enjoy fishing for a variety of species. I've been surprised at the comments I've heard made about bass or walleye fisherman from folks that only target steelhead or salmon.

I have to admit I've been guilty of assumptions too. I've seen guys roll up with the absolute best of everything. New Simms waders, top of the line rod and reel, gold plated nippers, etc. I've assumed "this guy must really enjoy it, and is probably a heck of a caster". Been shocked more than once. Saw an old guy on the Grande Ronde last week. Probably about 85. His gear had been well used and enjoyed. He had trouble wading and had to rely on his staff quite a bit. His casts were pure artistry. When he hooked a fish he showed patience and grace, and his treatment and release of the fish showed a lot of admiration. I was gear fishing at the time and he and I chatted a bit, about the fishing, the weather, other runs, etc. No judgements, just two guys out enjoying the day on a beautiful river.

The "knowledgeable" superior mindset fishermen misidentifying fish is pretty sad and funny isn't it Rogue Fanatic? Makes one wonder how many fish have been bonked and kept that shouldn't have been. A couple weeks ago I landed a nice coho in an area where chinook was open for retention, but not coho. It put on quite an acrobatic show. A guy came rushing over and said "nice steelhead". I said no, it was a nice coho. It was painful to listen to his lecture about how salmon always go for the bottom and don't jump like that, so that means it was a steelhead. I honestly hope we don't lose too man precious fish to folks like that.

Glad to know there are some other bass fans here Ryan. We enjoy catching them on poppers and flies when we can, but there are times of year where it just doesn't make much sense. Right now around here tubes and other methods are the way to go. A warm spring or summer float on the Yakima though, and getting bass on the fly is sure a lot of fun.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I am a switch hitter of sorts. I have been gear fishing for coho all this fall. I fish gear in the salt a bunch. I've never had a snarky comment made by a flyfisherman when gear fishing. It's never happened. I had one guy be snarky up north that we were fishing tips, once. That was the closest.

I've had many gear guys be rude or snarky or laugh at me fly fishing. The worst was a guy who said I was the reason there were less steelhead and that he couldn't use bait. He was angry and nearly in tears. Gear fisherman calling me names or belittling me when they find I have a fly rod is not only common but consistent. I'm always baffled at the turn these discussions take as they are 180 degrees from my experience.

cds

Salmo_g

What I don't understand is the snobbery that seems to be getting more prevalent with regard to fly fishing. Recently my wife and I were fishing for salmon and steelhead. There was a well known lady fly fisher not far from me, and I was catching coho on BC Spoons and large spinners while she wasn't getting anything. She had seen my wife take off earlier with her fly pole and she asked why my wife "hadn't converted me to the higher form of fishing yet?" She assumed that since I was gear fishing at the time, that must be all I do, and she said it in a rather snarky manner.
There you go, sweating the small stuff. Don'tcha' know that all hard core fly fishermen are a bunch of elitist pricks? Embrace the snark. You can't help it if you're not a fully evolved fly fisher. Yet. It's OK. We're all on a path to somewhere - except when we're going nowhere. I was once a fully evolved fly fisherman, having abandoned tossing plugs with a baitcaster for bass. But then I started salmon fishing with some guys from work, causing significant devolution of my fishing character as I drag herring around on hooks trying to catch a salmon. I could fly fish for salmon too, but in different places. And I have done that occasionally as well. But mostly I still fly fish, and mostly steelhead and trout. Because it satisfies me as other fishing methods do not. So I'm OK with being deemed an elitist fly fishing prick by those less evolved knuckle-dragging gear chuckers with their knuckle-busting bait casters. I figure they just can't help it.

Oh, what's this about? Flies vs lures? Hmmm, a fly is a lure. Generally a more sophisticated one (hence the elitism, I suppose), but with the use of so many synthetics it's becoming difficult to discern where the fly ends and the lure begins. And so it goes . . .

drysideshooter

I've always figured any disdain from gear folks towards fly guys was due to the seemingly (from my experience) large number of elitist fly guys here in the NW. It seems to be worse here than elsewhere. My wife and I spend most Novembers chasing bull redfish in Florida, with flies and gear depending on the day, where the fish are, and what we feel like doing. Have never really experienced anything negative one way or the other there. Same in Texas when fishing the gulf there.

I agree that it should be more about how the fish are treated, no matter what brought them to hand.

Meeshka

I'll address your title.
I've been to Great Bear Lake 9 times now, with pretty much the same group. 10 of us devote fly guys, 10 lure guys, T 60's and the like. So friendly competitions do exist.
What we have determined in 20# plus fish is that the fly guys caught more every trip, and we are using big tube flys. The largest fish, lakers in the 50# catagory was always caught by a lure guy. We came close twice, I caught a 45 lber, my buddy a 48 lber but never the largest. And who cares any laker over 20 lbs is a trophyDSC_0571.jpg

Ryan Higgins

I think "zealot" was a pretty appropriate term Rogue Fanatic! Maybe my wife and I are rednecks, or hillbillies or something, but we enjoy fishing for a variety of species. I've been surprised at the comments I've heard made about bass or walleye fisherman from folks that only target steelhead or salmon.

I have to admit I've been guilty of assumptions too. I've seen guys roll up with the absolute best of everything. New Simms waders, top of the line rod and reel, gold plated nippers, etc. I've assumed "this guy must really enjoy it, and is probably a heck of a caster". Been shocked more than once. Saw an old guy on the Grande Ronde last week. Probably about 85. His gear had been well used and enjoyed. He had trouble wading and had to rely on his staff quite a bit. His casts were pure artistry. When he hooked a fish he showed patience and grace, and his treatment and release of the fish showed a lot of admiration. I was gear fishing at the time and he and I chatted a bit, about the fishing, the weather, other runs, etc. No judgements, just two guys out enjoying the day on a beautiful river.

The "knowledgeable" superior mindset fishermen misidentifying fish is pretty sad and funny isn't it Rogue Fanatic? Makes one wonder how many fish have been bonked and kept that shouldn't have been. A couple weeks ago I landed a nice coho in an area where chinook was open for retention, but not coho. It put on quite an acrobatic show. A guy came rushing over and said "nice steelhead". I said no, it was a nice coho. It was painful to listen to his lecture about how salmon always go for the bottom and don't jump like that, so that means it was a steelhead. I honestly hope we don't lose too man precious fish to folks like that.

Glad to know there are some other bass fans here Ryan. We enjoy catching them on poppers and flies when we can, but there are times of year where it just doesn't make much sense. Right now around here tubes and other methods are the way to go. A warm spring or summer float on the Yakima though, and getting bass on the fly is sure a lot of fun.
Yeah theres no real way to punch a fly into the cover I do with 1oz tungsten! I imagine it can be fun, but I'm geared towards tournament angling so I focus my efforts on the high percentage techniques, which for me fly fishing isnt one of them. I will say the deck of a bass boat is one hell of a casting platform though!

Latest posts