Flies vs Lures

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Why fly fish? Simple, Robert Traver answered that decades ago when he wrote, "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up."
I've always said that "fly fishing is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!" I didn't come up with it, can't recall who I heard it from, someone I worked with at Orvis, but have been saying it for years! Probably just a variation of the Robert Traver quote....

That and "Only three more days until I can think like a fish!".. from A River Runs Through It!

I've always considered myself just a fisherman, who likes to fly fish most of the time. Wish more people would think like that. I've gotten better info from guys who gear fish, most of the time, other than friends. I mean from random people I meet on the water! Have had some guys question why I'm releasing this or that fish, and few other funny reactions to fly fishing. Plus one or two really annoying ones.. will save that for another time!!

Last edited:

drysideshooter

Its funny, as a young guy in Alaska I had a plane and a boat and spent all of the time I could either fishing, primarily fly fishing, or hunting. My mom told me for years that I would never meet a lady unless it was in a river fishing somewhere. It was like mom was a prophet. Almost 25 years and two amazing kids later it's still a shared passion. Seeing her in waders, with a pony tail sticking out the back of her fishing hat still makes my heart skip beats. flybill, I can say from experience (during a trip back to Alaska) that you absolutely don't have to have your clothes on to enjoy fly fishing, though if the mosquitos are bad it's a great idea.

Uncle Stu

Regarding the title of this thread--for me it should read "flies + lures." I've been able to avoid using bait for a couple years now but I must say, that salmon roe is almost a sure bet when the coho get picky, and I'm a big fan of those scented Gulp worms when the surf fish are too far out to reach on the fly. I guess I prefer to fly fish but I keep my spinning gear handy because of one simple fact: I want to fish, and I don't want to be shut down by poor conditions for the fly. For example, when the surf gets too big on my local beaches. The spin gear keeps me fishing on those big-surf days.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I'll address your title.
I've been to Great Bear Lake 9 times now, with pretty much the same group. 10 of us devote fly guys, 10 lure guys, T 60's and the like. So friendly competitions do exist.
What we have determined in 20# plus fish is that the fly guys caught more every trip, and we are using big tube flys. The largest fish, lakers in the 50# catagory was always caught by a lure guy. We came close twice, I caught a 45 lber, my buddy a 48 lber but never the largest. And who cares any laker over 20 lbs is a trophyView attachment 214658
Ok, that looks like a helluva lot of fun!

pittendrigh

Years ago, back home in Australia, I tried saltwater fly fishing for a few weeks. I bought an 8wt, a bunch of Clousers and hit the beach. I came to the conclusion pretty quickly that this was not an effective way to fish and that the flies were so big I might as well have just been using lures. After all, the whole point of fly line is that the flies don't have much weight and the line needs to be weighted instead.

Since moving to Seattle and having access to amazing salmon waters, I've wondered if I should reconsider this. I think we would all agree fly fishing is the most fun way to fish, but are there any practical benefits to fly fishing once the flies become lure sized?
When fishing from a boat, targetting structure-oriented holding spots like a log etc, with the flyrod you don't have to reel all the way back in to make a new cast. Also the key to fly fishing big is not rod or line weight so much--it's more about manly leaders that turn the fly over.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Mere flees on the size of flies you've tyin'... :D
It's funny, after reading through a few of these posts, I decided to go ahead and weigh some of my musky flies...most are 3-5 grams (or 46-77 grains) while I'm using fly lines 385-550 grains to throw them (along with super short, stout leaders)...not really that difficult to turn to turn over those big flies in that situation....

Latest posts