Where you fished as a kid?

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
All the places I fished were fairly close to La Grande. The North Powder Ponds. Catherine Creek. The upper Grande Ronde. Unity Reservoir. Lostine. The Wallowa.

My family was very much into the outdoors. Hunting, fishing, mushroom hunting, camping, the whole shebang.

Oddly enough, I didn't really like fishing as a kid. I didn't like the taste of trout and dealing with the bones was a pain. So I didn't see the point. So I could really take or leave fishing.

It wasn't until later and during my early twenties that I started flyfishing and I had never thought of if before, my dad was very much into the harvest of fish, I decided to release whatever I caught. Wellll.... that changed everything. Fishing for fun instead of a food source was something I could get into ... and did...
love that area, and the Thief

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I fished a spring creek for brookies in my back yard and the river it flowed into called the Indian River in NH. I was rarely supervised and the fish were mostly wild and small. Worms cast upstream with spinning gear and no weight was how I was taught. We would use little joe spinners tipped with worms too.

We also fished a few lakes for rock bass and perch from shore.

Go Sox,
cds

KerryS

Ignored Member
The Rogue River most of the time. We also fished just about every river from N. Cali to central Oregon. My dad was an avid fisherman and believed you should take a piss alongside as many rivers as you can.

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
I fished a spring creek for brookies in my back yard and the river it flowed into called the Indian River in NH. I was rarely supervised and the fish were mostly wild and small. Worms cast upstream with spinning gear and no weight was how I was taught. We would use little joe spinners tipped with worms too.

We also fished a few lakes for rock bass and perch from shore.

Go Sox,
cds
that’s exactly how I learned to gear fish for trout in creeks, except I was told to use 1 of the smallest split shot 20” up. Old eagle claw 4’6” yellow ultralight with the micro Mitchell reel was my weapon of choice back then.

Penobscot

Central Minnesota for me and North Dakota.
Devils Lake
Ottertail Lake
West Battle Lake
Star Lake
Lake DeSmet in Wyoming

Driftless Dan

I lived overseas until I went to high school, so I'd never fished before that. My parents bought a place on the Nehalem River in the tidewater section. Of course that meant salmon fishing throughout the late summer and fall. But for me, I spent most of my time on three nearby rivers. I fished more on the North Fork Nehalem, above the hatchery, than anywhere else, and I guess I can say that's where I learned the most. I also fished the South Fork extensively, and caught my biggest SRC's there. The third and my favorite river was the Salmonberry River. I'd park at the bridge and bike up it several miles. In all the times I was up there, I ran into people only twice. Good cutthroat fishing there. Hard to get to now - after the floods blew out the rail lines and rail bridges, it's tougher to cross the river.

Jerry Metcalf

FishyJere
Siwash Creek, just outside Tonasket WA in the early 1950's. Little bows and brookies, I doubt we caught anything over 8". It kept us busy in beautiful places and provided a lifetime avocation.

I had a telescoping steel rod, worms from the garden and good, strong legs then.

Peyton00

I mostly fished a lil ditch near Puyallup as a child. We would bounce around other places, but this one creek was our bread and butter.
Dropped off in the morning and picked up at nite. My friend Mark and i would walk and fish all day with panther martins and old rusty spoons. The train was our friend. 1978-84.

castsN2trees

The fish are calling.....
I grew up in South Carolina and North Carolina .... we fished everywhere there was water, but mostly ponds and creeks....

The biggest thing I caught as a kid was my brother..... hooked him right in the hand...

That was 35 years ago, but he still remembers I was upset because the doctor destroyed the Beatle Spin I hooked him with...

theleo91386

NE Oregon mainly. Grande Ronde Lake, Catherine Creek, Bear Creek, East Eagle, Main Eagle, and a ton on the upper part of the Minam above Red's. Also spent some time in Idaho at the Fish Creek reservoir and upper part of the Little Wood River.

Reactions: GAT

Latest posts