Where you fished as a kid?

theleo91386

We didn't fish Thief Valley much due to the ever present wind which tangled spinning gear in the hands of kids.

...I guess. My Dad was group leader so we obviously went where he decided to go.
There was a while where fishing below the dam was good. I went a few times with one of my dads friends. Never fished it regularly because it was pretty snakey, and my dad hates snakes.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Dad never took us anywhere that there were snakes.... he didn't like snakes either and decided it was best not to take kids into rattler country.

As a result, I found out later in life that we didn't fish a lot of rivers in the area due to the snakes.

Our camping trips would be up to the Eagle Creeks.... beautiful up there.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I never fished when I lived in Wisconsin. I only started out when we moved to Washington. But it was all done with hand lines. Could never afford a rod and reel so it was a spool of leader with a hook and some weight of some kind. We would dig up a few clams or use those small crabs as bait. If we collected enough bottles to trade in we would buy Prawns for bait. Could get a pound of Prawns for 10 cents.

I did get a somewhat Paper route for the paper the Red Line Special. It was an evening paper put out by the P.I. I got enough to buy my first rod. It was made by Tru Temper. It was a one piece rod and I think it was a piece of steel rod with eyes on it with a reel seat. It was a bait casting rod. I stuck a very cheap reel on it. I was 10 or 11 at that time.

My first skinny water was Chico Creek. When you were as young as I was you could walk through people's backyards and not get yelled at. We usually started out below Kitsap lake and wade downstream and fish it down to the Golf Course. I believed that they have moved the Gold Course since I've been a kid. That was 74 years ago. I think I hit all those small creeks out of the lakes in that area. I was hooked on skinny water since that time.

bakerite

We didn't fish Thief Valley much due to the ever present wind which tangled spinning gear in the hands of kids.

...I guess. My Dad was group leader so we obviously went where he decided to go.
Thief has been a sad place for the last decade. They farmers own more water than it can store so it has been drained every year!

• Sad
Reactions: GAT

lee c

Grew up fishing for salmon out of Westport in the sixties. Vividly remember first time fishing in a 17 foot glaspar with my dad and brother by buoy 8 wondering why everyone was giving us funny looks. Obviously learning curve started slow but we learned fast. Trolling plug cut herring in ten to thirty feet of water on the north and south beaches was amazing. When the King salmon hit, we would have to strip line out of the reel to get the rod out of the pole holder....we called them reel screamers.....I been addicted to a click on a reel ever since. The fishiest rods on the boat was the bow poles, with only ten or twelve feet of line out, damn those fish hit hard.

Mems

I fished the end of our pier in Bay St Louis Miss
I used a cane pole caught reds specks flounder and lots of croakers
My Dad was from Wyoming and we spent summers there
I learned to fly fish on the Bluegrass creek outside of Wheatland that is where we spread my fathers ashes

theleo91386

Thief has been a sad place for the last decade. They farmers own more water than it can store so it has been drained every year!
Weren't perch an issue in there as well? Seems like I remember one of those reservoirs around there having some on going issues with yellow perch.

Jonathan Tachell

Point Defiance in Puget Sound. Minter creek for trout before it was open to salmon and anyone else fished it. Some of the lowland lakes in Kitsap county and central Washington. Any water that I could get a ride to that might hold fish.

small creeks in north central Oregon. Which at the time were loaded with trout. And the sloughs along the Columbia for Bass, kingsley reservoir about Hood Rive OR

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Grew up fishing for salmon out of Westport in the sixties. Vividly remember first time fishing in a 17 foot glaspar with my dad and brother by buoy 8 wondering why everyone was giving us funny looks. Obviously learning curve started slow but we learned fast. Trolling plug cut herring in ten to thirty feet of water on the north and south beaches was amazing. When the King salmon hit, we would have to strip line out of the reel to get the rod out of the pole holder....we called them reel screamers.....I been addicted to a click on a reel ever since. The fishiest rods on the boat was the bow poles, with only ten or twelve feet of line out, damn those fish hit hard.
I recall seeing the big sign every time we drove into town at Westport "The Salmon Capital of the World".
Sad how things have changed so much in just over a 50 year or so time spane.
SF

wolverine

West Michigan and the west UP. Dad was a fishing addict who believed in eating what you caught. We ate fish 3-4 nights a week. There were 3 lakes within walking distance of the house and it was cane pole, bobber, and worms during the week. Dad had old wooden rowboats stashed at several lakes. he kept the farmers who owned the access in fresh fish for his access. On weekends it was the Pere Marquette, Little and big Manistee, Betsie, and the AuSable. Fly fishing for trout. We spent 2 months every summer up at lake Gogebic and we fished every trickle around. My first real rod was an old Granger bamboo rod, a forgotton reel that had a level fly line on it that was usually topped with about 50 yds of mono. Spent a lot of time stripping line off the reel and lobbing split shot and worms for trout.

Scudley Do Right

I grew up in Greenwood so we would launch out of Ballard. My dad would take me to Jeff Head and West Point after school. My favorite part was the Little Coney ice cream and catching bullheads in a butterfly net at the ramp. We would catch humpies on the Skagit with spoons from the Holiday Mart. We would catch chum at the mouth of the Wallace. My dad would hold on to me to keep them from pulling me in or losing the rod. Rattlesnake was my favorite lake for trout. Back when it only had a small gravel parking area.

John P

Dad got 2 weeks’ vacation every year. We'd go up to a resort with log cabins on Beaver Lake (Sammamish Plateau) every August. We’d have a great time swimming, fishing, feeding pancakes to the resident Black bear, and keeping an eye out for the Skunk family that was very adept at getting into our garbage can. At that time (70+ years ago), Beaver Lake had Bass, Perch, sizable Catfish and a few Rainbows. We caught them all but primarily the Perch. They were plentiful, fun to catch and really good eating. Mom appreciated the catch but only if they were cleaned and skinned.