Where you fished as a kid?

Bruce Baker

I believe my very first fish trip was to Farrington Lake in Middlesex County, New Jersey. The first fish I ever caught was a brook trout on a bobber and plastic worm. I got the fish onshore by myself, but needed my dad to unhook it. Unfortunately, he was not ready for me to have caught a fish so fast, so when he came to me the fish fell off the hook and he tried to use his foot to keep the fish on land, but it wiggled back into the lake. The Rarity River flowed through my hometown (Cranford, NJ) and I fished that a couple of times.

Once we visited some relatives in Plattsburg, NY and fished Lake Champlain. What I remember about this trip was that I was using a kids fishing outfit my grandma gave me for my birthday. What made it more memorable, was that I was using the "hook" that came with the outfit. It wasn't really a hook, but more like a piece of wire that looked like one. I hooked a fish and as I got it to the surface, the "hook" straightened out and the fish came off. It seemed like it happened in slow motion.

As I got older (junior high), my dad's job relocated out to Whitehouse Station, NJ (he commuted) and when he worked a half day on Saturdays, sometimes he would let me come and he would drop me off at the nearby reservoir (Round Valley) or at a creek (Lamington River or Rockaway Creek) that was a mile from the office. One of his co-workers taught me a way to fish from the bridge that crossed the creek. Pull a big leaf off of a tree and drop it on the upstream side of the bridge, then as the leaf went under the bridge and reappeared, drop a worm on it and let the leaf take the worm downstream for a bit and then pull it off and fish it back. I also wet-waded the creek. At Round Valley, I would fish near the boat ramp or off the dam that was between the main reservoir and a swimming area. Sometimes I fished from the shoref of the swimming area or from the dam. When I was in high school we bought a small boat and fished the reservoir. A teacher of mine from high school took me to fish South Branch Raritan River.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I’m the ONLY person in my family who fishes and i didn’t get into it until i was 40. ( AM getting my 37 year old favorite nephew into it though. I envy y’all who had dads and grandparents and family teaching you.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
I've always thought that small urban creek would hold some nice SRC's - al least at some time
it's a shame it's closed now, at the very least I would like to see it open for kids. Allen creek & jones creek were both good fishing & duck hunting jump shooting spots , both those areas are now part of the newly flooded marsh project in Marysville

ScottP

I grew up in Baltimore and fished for carp on some brackish creeks that fed the Chesapeake. We’d go out the day before and dump cans of corn where we were going to fish, then come back the next day and bait hooks with corn or dough balls made out of Shredded Wheat cereal. I had a Garcia (blue) spinning rod and Mitchell 300 reel and my friends had Zebco spincast rigs; we had a lot of fun.

Regards,
Scott

Porter

Urban attack

Haller Lake, which was quite good at one time
Bitter Lake
Green Lake
Echo Lake
Thornton Creek... wow, great all day adventures there. Some biggies in certain spots. Can’t do what we did yesteryear today.

I had an aunt and uncle who were hired as fire watchers for a logging company, so in my youth I was exposed to the upper Willamette, and somehow I got to spend a few vacations on the Williamson, Sprague, Spring Creek area. Red Band Trout heaven.

dogsnfish

I grew up as a forest service brat. We were in Heber UT from kindergarten to 2nd grade and I remember fishing Strawberry reservoir and the small creeks that flow into it. Moved down the road to Spanish Fork for 2nd to 6th grade and fished same, along with other mountain streams. My dad was transferred to Enterprise OR and lived there from 6th to the end of my freshman year. Buddies and I would backpack into the Eagle Caps while we were in junior high and use spinning bobbers with flies in the high mountain lakes. Also fished the Imnaha, Snake, Wallowa, and the Ronde. Great times.

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
Bachelor Creek, yakima, at the east end approach to the airport, years 1958-1962. The creek was the outfall of the hatchery that used to be there. BC was juvenile only fishing, 14 year olds and younger. There would be a scattering of bike along the creek and kids up and down teaching themselves how to do it. And a hatchery guy stocked once it once a day with “8 inchers“. Hell of a lot more fun than video games!

Age 14, hit the Naches and Tieton Rivers in the winter for white fish.

Fished Rimrock Lake for silvers (Kokane), too, fishing from fee rafts for 50 cents a day. Hit Dog lake which is where I started fly fishing in the summer of 1964. Focused on the brook trout hiding under the logs on the southwest part of the lake. Hit Leech a few times, too. That was the last place and time my a Dad and I fished in the early summer of 1966. Graduated high school that year, no longer a kid.

I grew up in Bremerton during the 50's and 60's. My brothers and I would fish the floating docks just north of the ferry terminal. We would get 18" pile perch, true cod (the best fish n' chips fish), and of course trophy bullheads. The searuns back then were the most aggravating, they would follow our lures and spinners right up to the dock and never take until you weren't paying attention. Lakes at that time had a 16 fish daily limit. Good times.

Tom Bowden

First fishing I remember was on American Lake with my Grandfather in 1961. He was the master at "still-fishing" with a bamboo fly rod, small fly reel loaded with monofilament, a couple split shot and "periwinkles" (caddis larva) we picked out of a local creek.

First fly fishing experience was at a little brook trout lake in BC in the mid-60's. We bought some Doc Spratleys in Williams Lake, and did really well with them. I got a little fly tying kit for Christmas that year, so next year we had plenty of them.

Tom

JamesRPL+

Spent my summers with my grand parents on Daybob bay.Dig some steamers , crack em on the wooden sides of the boat and hand line sand dabs , starry flounders ,lings ,what ever bit. It was Paradise for a 11 yr old kid. Beach fires at night and toasting marshmallows. The tide came in over the sun warmed stones so we swam all nite . Best time of my life.

larry lee

Walla Walla area, garrison creek, yellowhawk creek, cottonwood Creek, Mill Creek, dry Creek, Coppei creek. For trout. walla Walla river, touchet river, tucannon River, Grand Ronde, snake river and the Clearwater River for steelhead started fishing for steelhead on the Clearwater, 50 years ago this month with my father and grandfather.

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
Cedar River, some small tribs to that river, the Green (King co) and every little trickle between Seattle and Williston, ND that I could con someone into stopping at to fish.

Lots of time at Lake Jameson as well. And yes, did reasonably well on flies there too...

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
Walla Walla area, garrison creek, yellowhawk creek, cottonwood Creek, Mill Creek, dry Creek, Coppei creek. For trout. walla Walla river, touchet river, tucannon River, Grand Ronde, snake river and the Clearwater River for steelhead started fishing for steelhead on the Clearwater, 50 years ago this month with my father and grandfather.
Cut my steelhead teeth on the Ronde. Still my happy place, thought the WW is still pretty good too if you time it right.

Philonius

I grew up in Westchester county, just north of NYC. My Dad was an avid hunter and fisherman. One of my earliest fishing memories was of catching Brookies with him on a tiny creek not more than 5 miles north of the city line. The method involved a split shot and worm drifted down into a brushy little pool. Effective, and so damn cool catching fish, but even then, it didn't seem to be very sporting or require much real skill.

Most of my real formative fishing experiences took place up in the Catskill mountains, two hours drive "upstate."Dad belonged to a club he and some buddies had put together, and they had a funky little cabin along this run on the Esopus River in Phonecia NY. I spent countless happy hours bumbling around on the cobbled shores of this river, but must have been pretty clueless, because I can hardly recall catching a damn thing.

Later our family owned a little piece of property by these pockets on a sub-tributary known as the Pantherkill. Oh how I loved that creek, and have great memories of pretty little trout rising from its cold crystal clear water to my Quill Gordans and Light Cahills.

These pics are from November 2015 when I went back to spread his ashes on those beautiful waters. Thanks Dad! (I think.)