Where you fished as a kid?

Dave Westburg

Kelsey creek in bellevue. Grew up on its banks. Took a 13 inch cutt from a pool behind the gas station at 140th and 148th in bellevue. Also caught cutthroat in the tunnel where kelsey creek goes under i-405 and in the pool where kelsey creek enters bellfield slough.

triploidjunkie

As little kid: bait fishing Potholes for perch and crappie with my grandparents (awesome memories), fishing high mountain lakes and streams with spinning gear, learning to fly fish on a local stream when I was twelve, riding my dirtbike over to the San Poil when I was twelve and thirteen (from Elmer City) with a fly rod strapped to my handlebars. Catching a a 6.5 pound Largemouth bass at thirteen out of my secret lake. It'd take a book to get past my teen years...

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Phan Thiet and Saigon, South Vietnam. Our house had a nice ornamental koi pond in the front yard where my grandpa kept tilapia and cichlids.
I would take some of my mom's sewing pins, bent them into hooks and tied it to some string at the end of a whippy stalk of bamboo. A little bait and I was in business, all catch and release :)

Once in a while my brother and I would catch a little gecko and throw it in. Although they're good swimmers none of them ever made it to the edge of the pond... Vicious takes!

JACKspASS

I started plunking single eggs off a spinning rod when i was 4 or 5 in tiny mountain creeks following dad who fly fished. Alot of summer fishing in my youth was in the now closed Tumwater canyon and nearby streams. Most streams in the Leavenworth area were stocked with rainbows back in the day. Started fly fishing at around age 10 and stil learning 20+ years later. Grew up with the Sky river 10min away, caught summer and winter steelhead, coho, chum, kings, pinks, and 1 odd sockeye. Got to experience a handful of good years on the Sky before the empire crashed. Caught my first winter run in March mid 90's when it was open for cnr. I was fortunate to have a dad who loved to fish and took me as often as possible. I will never forget where it all started, and i never took it for granted because now most of what i fished as a youth is closed or overwhelmed with fisherman. With the increase of wolves, griz, tweakers, and colder winters, i suspect the pressure will drop;)

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I grew up in New England and cannot remember not fishing. I am in my early 40’s and have a lot of fond memories targeting brookies with worms in small streams all over northwestern Connecticut as a kid. We also fished for sunfish, perch, bass and even the occasional bullhead and eel from local lakes and ponds. As I go older I spent a lot of time fishing the Farmington River with worms, live minnows, small spoons and rooster tails. We lived about a ten minute bike ride from some of the best fishing on that river from the time I was 11 or 12 on. I have not fished it in probably 15 years but still consider it my home water. I might literally know every rock to stand on over a 20 mile stretch of that river. Well, that and Beaver Brook, a small stream in Northwestern CT that nothing special. However, when it literally flows through your backyard and holds a decent number of little brookies, it becomes your own personal playground. Bored? Grab a rod out of the shed, dig a few worms and explore.

Biggest regrests; the Farmington is a tailwater and one of the best fly fishing rivers in New England. It’s a shame I did not pick up a fly rod until I went to college in Montana! Nobody in my family fly fished so I was never exposed. I also never fished the salt in New England. I was not exactly close living in the Northwest corner of Connecticut but I cannot imagine the crazy striper fishing I missed out on!

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I grew up in Bremerton during the 50's and 60's. My brothers and I would fish the floating docks just north of the ferry terminal. We would get 18" pile perch, true cod (the best fish n' chips fish), and of course trophy bullheads. The searuns back then were the most aggravating, they would follow our lures and spinners right up to the dock and never take until you weren't paying attention. Lakes at that time had a 16 fish daily limit. Good times.
Bremerton, I lived there at that time you mentioned. I did High School in the early 50's. Got out in 1953 and went into the Army, never lived there again after I was in the Service. Used to also fish off the ferry docks. Caught a shit pot of Pogies off them docks. Also used to fish at the End of Warren Ave off the Cement plant docks. Caught a lot of Tomcod there. Maybe we bumped into each other there.

bakerite

Weren't perch an issue in there as well? Seems like I remember one of those reservoirs around there having some on going issues with yellow perch.
The perch are a huge issue in Phillips Lake upstream. They ruined what was a great trout fishery. Numbers reduced there now, but the trout fishing is still nothing like it was. There are spiny rays in Theif, but since it traditionally was drained every 5 years or so they never took over. I caught a few on flies there, all over a foot long. The really unique thing about Theif is that it does not stratify in the summer because it is only 30 feet deep at the deepest and is constantly turned over by afternoon winds. Pellet heads planted in the spring at 8-10 inches will be 16 inch footballs in June, even with the reservoir drained the year before.

Dan Sells

094638E7-F840-4320-9313-8BEC5C658642.jpeg
My First Fish! I think this was 1993. The Withlacoochee River in Inverness FL. This was not a place you went swimming off the dock. Haha. After this outing with my grandma and sone friends of hers who owned this dock I was hooked. My dad bought me a cane pole. There was a pond across the busy highway in front of my house hidden by brush and trees. I caught a lot of bluegill and largemouth out of that pond in the decade following.

Jakob B

Kelsey creek in bellevue. Grew up on its banks. Took a 13 inch cutt from a pool behind the gas station at 140th and 148th in bellevue. Also caught cutthroat in the tunnel where kelsey creek goes under i-405 and in the pool where kelsey creek enters bellfield slough.
Same, although I am much younger and me being a kid was only 10 years ago my dad and I and occasionally younger brother would slip down into Kelsey creek after church and go catch some Cutthroat. Average was about 5-7 inches with the occasional 8-10”. We would find crayfish and sometimes even lamprey. For how urbanized Bellevue has become that creek has tried to hold on for some time now. I haven’t seen a salmon return to it for quite a while now. Probably been 8 years. To which I blame pesticide runoff, loss of habitat and the slaughter of salmon that occurs at Ballard locks.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Scatter Creek, Deep Lake, Offut Lake. If results were any indication, I should have developed an aversion to fishing and pursued something like stamp collecting. So against all logic I became addicted to fishing.

JamesRPL+

I grew up on Richards Road, Fished the creek that goes under that wood trestle,I don't remember Kelsey creek . Must of missed it .

Last edited:

Dave Westburg

Kelsey creek is the creek that flows under the trestle. It starts in the blueberry farm on 148th flows along bel red road bends south by glendale golf course and eventually ends up at wilburton trestle.

dld

Grew up outside of Bozeman, didn't fish a lot, but did hit a couple of local reservoirs a few times. When I was 12-15, we used to hike the mile to the Gallatin. Fished a bit, but mostly swam.

A few hours out of Bozeman, my mother had a relative who owned land and a bait-shop on one of the reservoirs. His land contained the outlet creek. He wouldn't let anyone over 14 fish it, but all kids were welcome. That stream was thick with brookies and small cuts. Great fun for the kiddos.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
I remember fishing for carp in the Passaic River in New Jersey shortly after we immigrated to the US. Even at that tender age of seven or eight I remember how gross the river was....thankfully, the fishing was awful and I don't remember eating that many carp in New Jersey.

We then moved to California and I remember fishing for carp on the Russian River. There we did eat a lot of those fish. Catching and releasing small striped bass in the California delta. Those damn striped bass would steal the bait from the carp!!!

A public reservoir close to our house was open to the public while I was in my late teens. Yeah, you can have a municipal water supply and lands open for public use without affecting the water quality. Of course, those special folks would have the share the watershed with public in the Cedar River.

Anyway, lots of carp caught there. But my first experience with a bass taking a top-water plug. Catching crappie after crappie with a yellow fly.

AND my first trout on a fly. My sister lost her bait and I just tied an old hula popper skirt on her hook and dropped it off the boat. Her first trout on a fly.

And my first scientific research on oxygen and temperature relationships in lakes!!

Finally started fly fishing in Pine, Idaho. It was drink at the bar or stumble out the back and fish the river. So I bought a fly rod, reel and line from REI and proceeded to catch tons of squawfish out my back door.

On weekends I hiked into back country lakes and actually caught fish on flies!!! Though I must admit my memories are more of the ladies and their lack of clothes than the fish on caught on those trips.

After failing to convince various girlfriends into the joys of fly-tying I started tying on my own. Even after I moved to Idaho, none of the ladies wanted to learn how to tie flies!! WTH....what is the point of moving to Idaho if you can't find a woman to tie your fishing flies. The transition was complete to fly-fishing after I bought my first float tube.

But I think next year I am going to take my mothers garlic dough ball receipe for carp and fish Banks Lake.

And when the warden checks me for a license........I will tell him " I don't need no stinking license to fish for Carp".

Latest posts