Where you fished as a kid?

Tom Bowden

Lots of old Bellevue guys like me posting. I remember fishing for bass in Lake Sturtevant, which was renamed Lake Bellevue after the area was developed in the 70's. There was a dirt road to the lake behind a strip mall off Bel-Red road. Also the great fishing for kokanee in Lake Sammamish before they developed Issaquah Creek. Kelsey Creek and Richards Creek were full of spawning salmon in the fall.

skyrise

the old piers at Edmonds & the boat docks in Anacortes. push button reel one piece rods. trying for perch mostly getting bull heads. the adventure was getting down to the piers either on our bikes or walking. where i lived it was all down hill to get there and then all up hill coming home. same place i learned to skim board when it really was a small town. none of this condo's everywhere you have now.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
My first memory of catching fish was at Hyatt lake here in Southern Oregon.
My folks would let me fish off the boat dock by myself. Kids only got to fish off the dock.
I remember a very short yellow fiber glass rod and a bait reel that was crank it in, crank it out, no casting. With a red and white bacon rhine I would catch blue gill, crappy, a bass once in a while.

JamesRPL+

Lots of old Bellevue guys like me posting. I remember fishing for bass in Lake Sturtevant, which was renamed Lake Bellevue after the area was developed in the 70's. There was a dirt road to the lake behind a strip mall off Bel-Red road. Also the great fishing for kokanee in Lake Sammamish before they developed Issaquah Creek. Kelsey Creek and Richards Creek were full of spawning salmon in the fall.

Great small mouth fishing in Sammamish also just flip an Eel you grabbed in the mud on the east side ,into the lilly pads and hang on.

East Coaster

Grew up in RI, where it was mostly stocked trout in ponds as far as freshwater - saltwater was more popular with most people. My father wasn't really that interested in fishing, but I think watching the old American Sportsman show hosted by Curt Gowdy got me really fascinated with the idea of catching trout. Didn't have much success as a kid, but when I hit my 30s I got interested again, so I read and talked to knowledgeable folks and really dove in. By that time I was living here in NJ, and took advantage of the wild trout streams near my home. @Vladimir Steblina might be surprised to know that I've caught wild rainbows and browns in the headwaters of the Passaic River.

Even though I didn't catch many fish as a kid, I still have fond memories of going fishing with dad - having my first sips of coffee from his thermos, and experiencing the feeling of adventure each time we drove out to one of those ponds in what I considered the "wilderness" at the time.

jamma

My introduction to fishing was as basic as it gets; after filling a can with worms from the manure pile on grandpa's farm and hiking a quarter-mile or so to a neighbor's farm pond to fish literally a stick with line tied to it for the sunfish and occasional bass that lived there.
It was on this pond that I had my first brush with fly-fishing. Using a Sears Roebuck fiberglass fly rod (which I still own) and a bass popper, I caught two 1.5 pound bass off the weedbed. I vividly remember the explosive takes and the warm feeling I had walking the long road back home with my catch.

Brad Niemeyer

Old School Member
Five mile river, New Canaan CT. Brook trout and sunfish! Short bike ride from my house...it flowed past the cemetery pond which was full of sunfish crappie and bass...good memories!

Ricardo

Duero river, Spain. I caught my first fish under the 2000 year old roman bridge of the picture. I was about 8, fishing my grandpa' old cane rod, drifting a white maggot under a bobber. I will never know what I caught, because when the bobber went down I pulled so hard that I launched the poor fish over the bridge into the trees. Probably a small cyprinid, like a "barbo" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luciobarbus_bocagei) or something similar. I will never forget my grandpa's proud eyes and loud laughter... The fishery has come down since then, as the river is currently paying the toll of all that uncontrolled cattle and pig farming, but the tributaries still offer some good fishing, including some ultra spooky and very clever brown trout, extra difficult to hook.

Duero.JPG

Trib2.JPG

Trib1.JPG

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Methow River in 1971..at my great uncle Meadows place right on the river. I was a little kid-1st grade I think.

Caught plenty of fish on salmon eggs. Dog ate one. The fish hitched a ride with my great aunt and uncle over to the coast and to the table of my grandparents farm.

Last time I fished the area. Probably changed a tiny bit...

Denny Wagenman

Raised in Okanogan. Eggs and worms for bait. Used to put a pitch fork in the lawn and shake the hell out of it and the worms would pop up to the surface thinking it was an earthquake I guess. Didn't go home until we caught our limit. Lot's of fish in freezer for the winter. Lakes fished: Big and little twin near Winthrop., Duck, Proctor, Green, Buzzard,Crumbacher, Conconully upper and lower, Fish, two different Blue lakes and more that I won't list. My Dad started me as soon as I could hold a pole. Lost him at age 12 but memories are still wonderful. Left Okanogan in 1962. Still go back to fish some quality and fly fish only lakes in the area.

jacknoir

Caught my first trout on Chappell Fork in PA. Tributary of the Allegheny. Relatives had a farm there. It was paradise. It's now under the Allegheny Reservoir, and the hills are scarred with fracking platforms.

luv2fly2

In the late 40s I fished nes perse creek which ran thru culdesac id.. we used brown or grey shackle flies with perriwinkles which is a cased caddis. In the spring we caught an occasional steelhead. The trout limit was 20 with 3 under 6 inches. We used 9 ft 3 piece bamboo rods which came with an extra tip. Lots of. Hiking. And lots of fun. Great memories. Mike w

JE

Ahtanum Creek
Wenas Lake
Myron Lake
I-82 ponds
Gravel pit ponds in Toppenish
Little Naches
Bumping River

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
I got started in the back of our tin boat, at around 2-1/2 years old, on an Adirondack lake. We spent a few weeks every summer up there. We were nearby by the upper Hudson River too. Lots of smaller streams and ponds etc. Lots of good memories of dunking worms and hauling in trout, bass, perch, pickerel and pike etc. I spent two years in the 5th grade because of my fishing for the largemouth bass in the lake near my house. We lived on western Long Island Sound so I was always running off to fish the shorelines there. Flounder were fun to catch. And there was plenty of them then. We had bluefish and striped bass, perch and shad, eels etc. The water in the suburban areas was badly polluted. Especially the saltwaters. At times there were massive die offs of fish. All due to pollution. Raw sewerage was a constant. Some of the places that other people have mentioned here I have also spent time on. In upstate and southern New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida. By the time I had turned 18 I had fished around most if the Atlantic coast states. I got out to the Pacific Northwest when I was around 19. Camping and hiking mostly. I ended up in southern California in the racehorse world for a while. Then I headed back east. I didn't get to fish out here again until I was in my 40's and had moved here. What I remember about people fishing here in the 1970's was that nobody released anything. And the salmon and steelhead were piled up on the banks.
I had pictures of my grandparents and parents, each with 40 trout on a stringer back east. Where did the fish go? We ate them. I got into fly fishing when I was in my mid 20's. I've had a fishing problem all of my life.

Latest posts