Fishing isn't what it used to be?

Rob Allen

Rob, are you talking straight-up dead-drifted dries? or skaters. I got a few skater fish back then, but never really tried floating a bomber or october caddis. Apparently I missed the boat if that was a thing.

But yeah, the "good-ol' days" are done. I remember seeing a school of at least 200 at the steel bridge hole in the late 70's. Basically a giant whirl-pool of steelhead swimming in a daisy-chain circle like tarpon do. Probably far more steelhead than were ever in the river prior to massive hatchery plants, so maybe they were the not-so-good-days after all.
Skaters, i was too lazy to type surface instead on dry. It's a bit late to think of those days as good or bad. It's just the way it was.

Birdsnest

I think it is clear that salmon and steelhead fishing isn't what it used to be, but I think trout fishing has improved. With catch and release, the size of the trout I catch now are way bigger than they were when I fished as a kid in the 60s and 70s. As others have said, back then we killed everything we caught. It has gotten much harder to find solitude while fishing. Salmon fishing is cyclical. Puget sound salmon fishing in the 90s was so so. The early 2000s saw some excellent salmon fishing in the sound, but the last 5-6 years have been poor.

Rob Allen

I think it is clear that salmon and steelhead fishing isn't what it used to be, but I think trout fishing has improved. With catch and release, the size of the trout I catch now are way bigger than they were when I fished as a kid in the 60s and 70s. As others have said, back then we killed everything we caught. It has gotten much harder to find solitude while fishing. Salmon fishing is cyclical. Puget sound salmon fishing in the 90s was so so. The early 2000s saw some excellent salmon fishing in the sound, but the last 5-6 years have been poor.

Cyclical maybe true, the problem is that with each downturn it goes lower than the one before.

Bentley

My humble opinion is that things only change in one direction (in the context of the topic), and the “good old days” are whenever you started
Intentionally avoided starting reading this thread, but slipped in my resolve. Maybe I read too much into your short but astute observation Gary. Sorry if I misinterpret. When I compare what I think it means to my East Coast trout fly fishing beginning, SW Washington and now PNW OP searuns, the “change in one direction“ is striking.

So many reasons. That said, nature finds a way. So too does the persistent fly fisherman.

Bentley

I like this second picture. I'd eat that in a minute.
I kind of like your question on fishing. I've always been told that fishing in Western Washington Sucked big time. In my many travels all over the hills in these river basins I have found fish. And some of there weren't just 6" fish. I have found out that you can't find fish from a chair. You have to get up off your duff and go explore. You all say work gets in the way. Well I found all that I found on weekends that I had off. A tank of gas and a good map is about all you need. I could send you all to where the fish are but I'm not going to. Getting out is the drug that clears the head. You have more fishable skinny water that there is skinny water in Montana.
Love it OMJ- The “follow the little blue lines” advice again for the speed readers. God how true this is. Just go back from the OP bushwhacking that included a couple of 2 mile walks through the woods to gravel bars on the Hoh. At 74, this gets a little harder each season. But, new out of the way swinging spots can be found just as you have said. Used field glasses to see what the drift boats in the distance were doing. I like casting but not over dry holes.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Wait until you get older. You tweak your bones and you will be looking for spots close to the road like I do. I still busted through the bushes at 74. Now it's how close to the road can I still catch fish without hiking away from your rig. I have 2 places that I can park get out and fish about 5 feet from my front seat of my Pickup. There is another spot that I could sit in my front seat and fish. But I'd be blocking the road.

Latest posts