The BS I've put up with in 25 years of fly-fishing

Salmo_g

If you're really encountering this much perceived hostility, lack of civility, and so forth, maybe, just maybe, you ought to stop, take a deep breath, look in the mirror, and see how much of it you bring on yourself. When you find yourself thinking that the world has it in for you, more often than not, the world really doesn't give a shit. Look inward young man. More often than not, that's where the answer lies.

This, coming from a not so tough guy. When you get back to the world, look me up. I'll look you straight in the eye and tell you the same thing. I'm always here, trying to help, not always successful.

Sg

castsN2trees

The fish are calling.....
Changed my mind.
Hey buddy.....

I saw your original post last night a few minutes after it went up... and wanted to reply, but wasn’t sure how.....

I’m relatively new to this forum, and even though I’ve seen a couple of your posts, I don’t really know much about you, or 99% of the people on this forum, for that matter...

So I can’t speak to specific incidents or attitudes.... and don’t intend to try....but having flyfished for 29 years... I can tell you what I appreciate most in other flyfishermen/women is enthusiasm, river etiquette, and willingness to help new anglers....And that has nothing to do with one’s race or gender, (or # of instagram followeta).....

Social media has its trappings, but it also has some pretty awesome advantages... I’ve gotten a lot of useful information and entertainment from this forum....it’s the best I’ve found....

As for the negatives that you’ve mentioned you encountered....I’m sorry.... that sucks.....

I can only speak for myself..... but I’m not here to put anybody down....I’m just here for the fish.... and I think there are other people who feel the same.....

Have a good wknd.... that was a nice fish you posted the other day.... here’s a couple I caught yesterday....

jason

Attachments

GAT

Dumbfounded
I've put up with BS since I started flyfishing in the 70s. Damned fish won't play the game. Broken rods. Lost reels. Tangled lines. Sliding off road into ditch during steelhead trip. Damned fish won't play the game. Fly eating trees. Fly eating snags. Forgot my fins. Forgot my vest. Forgot my rod. Flat tires. Damned fish won't play the game. Lit cigar burned through line. Hurricane force winds. Rain storms. More tangled lines. More flat tires. Asthma attacks. Steep hills. Hooks stuck in back of vest during back cast. Slippery rocks. Another broken rod and the damned fish still won't play the game.

There's probably more but that's what comes to mind.

(I think the BS kind'a comes with the sport :eek:)

Last edited:

GeorgeV

I've put up with BS since I started flyfishing in the 70s. Damned fish won't play the game. Broken rods. Lost reels. Tangled lines. Sliding off road into ditch during steelhead trip. Damned fish won't play the game. Fly eating trees. Fly eating snags. Forgot my fins. Forgot my vest. Forgot my rod. Flat tires. Damned fish won't play the game. Lit cigar burned through line. Hurricane force winds. Rain storms. More tangled lines. More flat tires. Asthma attacks. Steep hills. Hooks stuck in back of vest during back cast. Slippery rocks. Another broken rod and the damned fish still won't play the game.

I thought I just gave up fly fishing, due to age related difficulties, wading, hiking, tying fine leaders and rowing a drift boat or raft. I didn't realize all the frustrations I got rid of, thank you for showing me the positive side.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Hey buddy.....

I saw your original post last night a few minutes after it went up... and wanted to reply, but wasn’t sure how.....

I’m relatively new to this forum, and even though I’ve seen a couple of your posts, I don’t really know much about you, or 99% of the people on this forum, for that matter...

So I can’t speak to specific incidents or attitudes.... and don’t intend to try....but having flyfished for 29 years... I can tell you what I appreciate most in other flyfishermen/women is enthusiasm, river etiquette, and willingness to help new anglers....And that has nothing to do with one’s race or gender, (or # of instagram followeta).....

Social media has its trappings, but it also has some pretty awesome advantages... I’ve gotten a lot of useful information and entertainment from this forum....it’s the best I’ve found....

As for the negatives that you’ve mentioned you encountered....I’m sorry.... that sucks.....

I can only speak for myself..... but I’m not here to put anybody down....I’m just here for the fish.... and I think there are other people who feel the same.....

Have a good wknd.... that was a nice fish you posted the other day.... here’s a couple I caught yesterday....

jason
Very nice post Jason. Nice fish too!

Penobscot

If you're really encountering this much perceived hostility, lack of civility, and so forth, maybe, just maybe, you ought to stop, take a deep breath, look in the mirror, and see how much of it you bring on yourself. When you find yourself thinking that the world has it in for you, more often than not, the world really doesn't give a shit. Look inward young man. More often than not, that's where the answer lies.

This, coming from a not so tough guy. When you get back to the world, look me up. I'll look you straight in the eye and tell you the same thing. I'm always here, trying to help, not always successful.

Sg

SG,
I love your posts and wisdom Man.

Rock Creek Fan

@castsN2trees and @Salmo_g - great posts and very thoughtful...

@fisharmy - your rod review along with the fishing review was one of the best, if not the best review, I have seen on this site. It was informative, humorous, educational, as well as fun to read. Well done!

WFF is a great site and there is lots to learn from others. It also has a number of 'cults' whether it be about steelheading, how to handle fish, hotspotting includes even identifying river drainages, indicator fishing, tell me how to get into flyfishing so I do not have to do any research, or sales of equipment, to name a few. There is a tendency by some to call people out with the 'pile-on mentality'. It can get/has gotten quite ugly at times. Do not be goaded into it. IGNORE them and continue to post with your thoughtful insight. We all can learn from you (well most of us)....

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Hey buddy.....

jason

Jason gets it....

JamesRPL+

don't forget casting your watch cap mid way in the river while spey casting in a great wind blowing up the canyon ?

JE

It is interesting how certain individuals seem to invite teasing, ridicule, sarcasm, snide remarks etc.

I've taught middle school for 20 years and every year without fail I have a student or two (or three) that behave(s) in a way as to bring upon themselves the worst in others by what they say or do. The student then takes on the persona of a victim - which just makes the sharks smell blood in the water. Often times parents get involved because their child is being bullied etc.

Obviously, we should have patience and show grace to such individuals. As a teacher it is my responsibility to model this behavior to my students and help them to develop skills to work effectively with each other.

For some reason, it is way easier for me to extend this grace to a kid than it is to an adult. Maybe that's why I have chosen this profession.

-JE