Honolulu

PhilR

Headed to Honolulu next week, and hoping to get out for 2 or 3 days fishing. The good news is that I've been thinking a lot about where, when, and how since the last time I was there. I may have access to one of the beaches behind the wire, and I'm hoping a big sub doesn't disrupt my fishing. I may also rent a kayak or sup and head over to a flat that the guides frequent. The bad news is that the tides are not the best, and I will only be able to fish 2 or 3 days....

I've been tying a lot of bonefish flies lately, and picked up on Mem's advice about tying oama clousers. Probably more flies than I can lose in a couple of days fishing.

IMG_3304[2].JPG

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
Hickam gets a lot of pressure but being out on the flats when the reveille goes off is an interesting time. More tailers on that side of the island than where I fish. Good luck and hope you can fool some of those fuckers!

PhilR

Funny thing is that I tied a bunch of spam and eggs last night, thinking I was tying some sort of barred mantis shrimp.

HIW - I had been told that Hickham and K beach got less pressure than the public areas of the island. Is that wrong? I'll probably spend some time checking the flats on the southeast end of the island. Our friends are also planning to rent a boat to head to the sand bar in Kaneohe bay, and I may bring a rod over there too. However, they keep telling me that the places I want to go "are too shallow to do any fishing".

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
Funny thing is that I tied a bunch of spam and eggs last night, thinking I was tying some sort of barred mantis shrimp.

HIW - I had been told that Hickham and K beach got less pressure than the public areas of the island. Is that wrong? I'll probably spend some time checking the flats on the southeast end of the island. Our friends are also planning to rent a boat to head to the sand bar in Kaneohe bay, and I may bring a rod over there too. However, they keep telling me that the places I want to go "are too shallow to do any fishing".
Ehh less people fishing maybe but lots of retirees fishing hard. Kawaikui Beach park is a good place for easy access (east Honolulu).

Mems

Hickam can be fickle. The big bones in shallow are almost impossible to get to eat. The smaller ones that school out in the middle eat pretty easily, but are hard to see because of the depth of water. The tailers in the mangroves in the evenings can be easier to drop a crab on and will eat. It is like three flats in one. Better fishing during the weekdays.

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
Hickam can be fickle. The big bones in shallow are almost impossible to get to eat. The smaller ones that school out in the middle eat pretty easily, but are hard to see because of the depth of water. The tailers in the mangroves in the evenings can be easier to drop a crab on and will eat. It is like three flats in one. Better fishing during the weekdays.
The 10#'ers just stare at you not even spooked from your fly. The intelligence and memory on these fish is amazing

I had some great success with Jesse @ Hi Tide on Honolulu. We used his flats boat near the airport and he got me on multiple bonefish.

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
When @HawaiianInWa tells you to tie up some spam and eggs, but get rid of the sparkly legs, and points you to a specific beach park, you should do it. I started to hook up once I started clipping the legs off.

View attachment 215509
I believe @Rippinsomelip gave the spam and eggs advice but yes good fly. Fly choice does not matter as much as weight and confidence. Avoid uv and flash. I catch fish on tan ep fibers and black sharpie. If the presentation is good and the fish wants to eat it will.

scottcat

I believe @Rippinsomelip gave the spam and eggs advice but yes good fly. Fly choice does not matter as much as weight and confidence. Avoid uv and flash. I catch fish on tan ep fibers and black sharpie. If the presentation is good and the fish wants to eat it will.
Do the bonefis
Right, he did. Lots of great advice.
Not meaning to hijack but had a question about uv and flash. Would avoiding uv and flash also be something to consider at Xmas island? Tying some specials and gotchas and this made me think about this. Seems there's a few knowledgeable folks commenting on this thread. Thanks
Scott

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous

This is not the article I had in mind but it does address the same issue. A guide talked about how he put UV materials on a fly and compared the results to no uv. I believe hook rate went up with no UV. Just go natural on some flies. That being said I believe Kiribati is easier fishing than HI...

Mingo

the Menehune stole my beer
I have buddies who fish there almost daily and the ones who are most successful use virtually no UV materials on their flies. They told me they've watched bones literally jet away from a UV-laden fly. I've had success with drab flies with zero UV and flies that light up like a Xmas tree under a UV lamp. I like some UV in low light conditions, but I go drab in bright overhead sun.

Latest posts