Help, what are these

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
WFF Supporter
Pumped a fish today, had several things I could identify, but was full of these as well... What are they?

Thanks

IMG_20191016_165525086_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191016_210758.jpg

jwg

Pumped a fish today, had several things I could identify, but was full of these as well... What are they?

Thanks

View attachment 214713 View attachment 214714
Very cool to see a fishermans picture, which I suspect is more realistic than many images on the web.

Is the light in your first picture a white LED?

There are fly patters for these.
Heck I even caught a fish with one but I suspect it was an impulsive take when green chironomids were around and had nothing to do with glass worms on that day

J

jamma

You can imitate these with a chironomid pattern featuring a lime or apple green crystal flash body and a copper bead, just leave out the gills, they don't have any.
The secret to fishing these is to keep them dancing, unlike a suspended chironomid. These guys swim in a thrashing motion that rarely stops and not for long when it does.

jamma

View attachment 215864
A first attempt. This did catch a few fish under an indicator close to the bottom but I need to work on it some more.
I crafted something I think should work. I took some x-small black mono eyes and cut them from post. I then used super glue to attach them to a #14 2312 Tiemco hook. Using clear mono "thread", I then tied in an extended body made from the braided end of a Cortland slip-on leader loop. Build a clear body with SHHAN and unravel the end of the braid and you've got a pretty good imitation, I think.
I wish I could show a picture, but this tablet doesn't take pictures of small shit very well, but I hope you get the idea.

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
WFF Supporter
Very cool to see a fishermans picture, which I suspect is more realistic than many images on the web.

Is the light in your first picture a white LED?

There are fly patters for these.
Heck I even caught a fish with one but I suspect it was an impulsive take when green chironomids were around and had nothing to do with glass worms on that day

J
So, it is a white LED headlights from Coast (Costco). I have used it before to show samples. You have to play with angle and background.

Reactions: jwg

Jim Darden

Well I've tried a lot of imitations that I thought were pretty realistic and caught fish on all of them but they definitely weren't the hot patterns I hoped for. To be truthful, I could have put on a simple black chironomid and caught as many fish.........

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info