SBS Nocentini's Attractor 2

ScottP

A few minor changes to the original. After a few casts, it'll probably be more of a hair-winged Muddler than a hare-hackled Stimulator; not that that's a bad thing.

hook – Maruto 2312 #6
thread - UTC 140 brown
body - medium tinsel opal
hackle - brown (undersize by 1)
underwing - Congo Hair tan
wing - elk hair
head - hare's mask (loop dubbed)

mash barb, start thread at 3/4 mark; tie in (folded) hackle by tip, wrap to bend, return to 3/4 mark (try to keep it smooth)

tie in tinsel, wrap to bend and back; tie off/trim

brush body with Sally, wrap hackle forward, stroking fibers back; tie off/trim

tie in CH; trim (even with bend)

clean, stack, measure (tips a bit past underwing) a clump of elk hair; tie in/trim

make thread loop; wax on

clip off some hare's mask guard hair (save the underfur), insert in clip; clip to loop, trim butts, spin

stroke fibers back, wrap, tie off/trim, whip finish, SHHAN

Regards,
Scott

@ScottP your flies and SBS's are always a pleasure. I admire the amount of time and effort you put into it in general, and then to share it with us is a bonus.

This is just a suggestion, for durability (and I don't want to come off sounding like a know it all here). When I do hackle over tinsel, right before I wrap, I put a thin layer of solarez bone dry on the tinsel, wrap the hackle, and then flash it with the light. I have found this to be super durable, especially in salt water (i use hackle over tinsel quite a bit for salt water). Anyways, just a thought, and again, don't mean to make it sound like...well, you know...just adding a suggestion.

James

Edited to add: I see you you Sally's over the body...I didn't read that at first. I have had mixed results with Sally's, not durability wise, but color wise over tinsel. Seems to yellow/turn milky in the sun. Also, I feel like the UV is dry once you cure it, so then you can work on the remainder of the fly without worrying about touching the glue.

ScottP

@ScottPThis is just a suggestion, for durability (and I don't want to come off sounding like a know it all here). When I do hackle over tinsel, right before I wrap, I put a thin layer of solarez bone dry on the tinsel, wrap the hackle, and then flash it with the light. I have found this to be super durable, especially in salt water (i use hackle over tinsel quite a bit for salt water). Anyways, just a thought, and again, don't mean to make it sound like...well, you know...just adding a suggestion.

James

Edited to add: I see you you Sally's over the body...I didn't read that at first. I have had mixed results with Sally's, not durability wise, but color wise over tinsel. Seems to yellow/turn milky in the sun. Also, I feel like the UV is dry once you cure it, so then you can work on the remainder of the fly without worrying about touching the glue.
James,

I’ve had some of the superglues frost tinsel but haven’t noticed any issues with Sally. That being said, I think the UV products are superior for this kind of application; thanks for the recommendation, I’ll give the Solarez a try.

The day that anyone knows it all...well, that day isn’t coming anytime soon; constructive criticism makes us all better tyers (human beings, too, if we’re willing to listen).

Regards,
Scott

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
James,

I’ve had some of the superglues frost tinsel but haven’t noticed any issues with Sally. That being said, I think the UV products are superior for this kind of application; thanks for the recommendation, I’ll give the Solarez a try.

The day that anyone knows it all...well, that day isn’t coming anytime soon; constructive criticism makes us all better tyers (human beings, too, if we’re willing to listen).

Regards,
Scott
Plus one here for the appreciation of your work here, Scott!

Latest posts