Reel recommendations

Uncle Stu

Thanks for the recommendation, Uncle Stu! I’m very intrigued by your description of the Danielsson. Where would you recommend buying from? Directly from Sweden? Is that where I’d find the $228 deal? Thanks again for your help!
Buy direct on their website, and check the box to get prices WITHOUT the EU VAT tax. The reel is beautiful in its simple elegance. I can't wait to try mine. I love fighting a saltwater fish by palming only, in the traditional style.

Jeff Peacock

For what it's worth Dennis.
I use a 6 wt from the beach as you never know when you might get a salmon grab when fishing for cutts. I use a Lamson reel with that rod as I think it is sealed in a manner that minimizes the probability of salt water intrusion, (and I religiously rinse the rod and reel after every use in the salt).
I have fished the Owhyee for many years- before the internet raised it's profile and if was "discovered". My go to rod there is a 4 wt and given the size of the river that even works well for small steamers. In all the years I've fished there I can only think if once or twice I would have wanted something as heavy as a 6 wt and that was only due to very windy days. Second the previous posts on the Galvin's- love mine.

Dennis MacD

For what it's worth Dennis.
I use a 6 wt from the beach as you never know when you might get a salmon grab when fishing for cutts. I use a Lamson reel with that rod as I think it is sealed in a manner that minimizes the probability of salt water intrusion, (and I religiously rinse the rod and reel after every use in the salt).
I have fished the Owhyee for many years- before the internet raised it's profile and if was "discovered". My go to rod there is a 4 wt and given the size of the river that even works well for small steamers. In all the years I've fished there I can only think if once or twice I would have wanted something as heavy as a 6 wt and that was only due to very windy days. Second the previous posts on the Galvin's- love mine.
Thanks for the input, Jeff! I have since decided to use the 6 for beaches and the 5 for rivers, as you and a few others have recommended. The only reason I originally intended to do the opposite was because I already had some decent intermediate Rio line for the 5. But that’s probably not a good enough excuse to go against reason. Thanks again for your time!

Dennis MacD

Well, I went against popular opinion (Hydros) and opted for the Danielsson. I originally said that aesthetics weren’t important, but something about the look of these really grabbed my attention. A huge thanks to everyone for their time!!

Uncle Stu

The Danielsson Original? Hope you got an extra spool. If you did, then you achieved exactly what you specified in your OP: two spools and under $300. Enjoy.

Latest posts