Getting into duck hunting

matchu865

WFF Supporter
I’m going out for the first time this Sunday. Only have a half dozen mallard decoys so we’ll see how it goes. Hoping a friend with more experience can make it but if not should still be a fun time.

Wade Spani

I’m going out for the first time this Sunday. Only have a half dozen mallard decoys so we’ll see how it goes. Hoping a friend with more experience can make it but if not should still be a fun time.
I might be interested later in the season. My parents still got a hundred acres along a slough in the Snohomish river valley. I haven't been in years and its changed a bit since our corn fields on the other side were replaced with blueberries when we sold most of the farm a few years ago. There's no competition from other hunters at least because the area is heavily posted, and is patrolled by my 70 year old mother who is heavily armed. I probably still have a couple dozen decoys laying around somewhere.

Last edited:

gt

i should also have mentioned that both ducks and geese are monocular, watch them as they swivel their heads side to side trying to judge distance. why is that of interest?? simply because using way oversized decoys will cut down on the number you need to invest in. they work great and we only realized this late in our hunting.

Ron Olsen

WFF Supporter
Did you spring for a call? I would suggest a Haydel DR85 as about the best starter, low cost, easy to blow call
Learn a high ball, lonesome hen, chuckle, five note, three note, and comeback. Good tape should cover this. Have fun.

West Earls Nov 2019.jpg

Krusty

Huge Erect Member
WFF Supporter
Yes...and when you're enjoying those juicy hard-earned ducks, remember that every one of them spent their happiest hours gorging on 'pre-digested' corn in every shit-plant sewage lagoon between the arctic circle and the PNW. Enjoy!

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
WFF Supporter
I might be interested later in the season. My parents still got a hundred acres along a slough in the Snohomish river valley. I haven't been in years and its changed a bit since our corn fields on the other side were replaced with blueberries when we sold most of the farm a few years ago. There's no competition from other hunters at least because the area is heavily posted, and is patrolled by my 70 year old mother who is heavily armed. I probably still have a couple dozen decoys laying around somewhere.
Shoot a bunch of hooded mergansers,They are inedible but the drakes flank feathers are awesome for fly tying & they eat tons of down river smolts

matchu865

WFF Supporter
Got the call recommended, still practicing in the car.
The second time out was a flop - the place I had scouted was taken when I got there at 4:30, so I went to another area I hadn’t scouted and there was limited water and no ducks, a lot of swans though.
Last weekend made it out goose hunting with an some buddies who hired outfitter. Tons of fun but with 160 decoys out in the field as a spread, I’m going to stick to duck hunting when I do it alone.

Reactions: JS

JS

Yes...and when you're enjoying those juicy hard-earned ducks, remember that every one of them spent their happiest hours gorging on 'pre-digested' corn in every shit-plant sewage lagoon between the arctic circle and the PNW. Enjoy!
Lol, you act like some of us don’t gorge on predigested corn every night for free! Some on here are probably even paying to dine on the booty corn buffet.

Gtf outta here with that

JS

Got the call recommended, still practicing in the car.
The second time out was a flop - the place I had scouted was taken when I got there at 4:30, so I went to another area I hadn’t scouted and there was limited water and no ducks, a lot of swans though.
Last weekend made it out goose hunting with an some buddies who hired outfitter. Tons of fun but with 160 decoys out in the field as a spread, I’m going to stick to duck hunting when I do it alone.
you dont need 160 dekes, just sayin

wetline dave

A call is often your worst enemy! Paint some maqnum decoys black and put them at the head of a string. Attach a jerk line and create ripples. Ducks will see that from great distances. Be sure your back side is covered and don't look directly at incoming birds, unless you are wearing a camo face covering. Your white face stands out like a light. Movement or lack there of is a big key. Ducks will detect motion quicker than jut about anything else.

Dave

matchu865

WFF Supporter
I really appreciate everyone’s help, and would love to hunt with y’all sometime. Just a quick update - was able to get a few birds to decoy today and brought down 3. I was hunting sheet water on the west side. All the birds were all widgeons flying in solo. There was enough wind that the decoys were moving without use of a jerk rig. Was really gratifying doing it on my own!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock