Potshot flure

pittendrigh

I can cast it. But it's mainly/mostly useful for pulling off the downstream end of a drift boat. With a flyrod. Costco nuts container cut with tin snips. Foam. Feather and a snell. Barbell eyes and silicone seal. Most flyrod wigglers float at rest, and then gurgle when retrieved.

This one sinks slowly at rest. Dives even deeper and wobbles when retrieved. I might need to make the snell a bit longer, so the hook gets placed a bit further back.

pittendrigh

The fly looks great.....but I think you are fishing the wrong kind of water....
;=))

I heard someone say "So and so can catch fish in a toilet bowl." So I tried he bathtub. It didn't work. These do work well for Smallmouth Bass in the lower Yellowstone/Bighorn rivers. And in one other secret spot I won't mention. Someday I have to get over to Oregon, to drift the John Day.

Last edited:

pittendrigh

Ok. The smaller one.
Halford's Ghost?

This one (made this morning) is tied with a #14 straight-eye hopper hook. The hook is attached with a snell knot coming out of the eye from bottom to top, which tends to flatten out on the small-hole end of the tungsten bead, so the hook ends up keeping its orientation, parallel to the shank, as you retrieve it. Good flure too. Especially, remarkably, somewhat unexpectedly deadly on Spring Creeks. As..........claimed in the link below

Last edited:

pittendrigh

Finally. Some background information on Frederick Halford's work with wigglers, shortly before his untimely death.

Last edited:

NRC

I can cast it. But it's mainly/mostly useful for pulling off the downstream end of a drift boat. With a flyrod. Costco nuts container cut with tin snips. Foam. Feather and a snell. Barbell eyes and silicone seal. Most flyrod wigglers float at rest, and then gurgle when retrieved.

This one sinks slowly at rest. Dives even deeper and wobbles when retrieved. I might need to make the snell a bit longer, so the hook gets placed a bit further back.

Cool! That looks like it would be super fun to strip for coho in the salt. I may have to try a variation next fall.

pittendrigh

RE> coho in the Salt. We don't have salt water anywhere near. I wish. When you have to cast them the diamond-shaped diving bill (one of the images above) is easier to cast.

NRC

RE> coho in the Salt. We don't have salt water anywhere near. I wish. When you have to cast them the diamond-shaped diving bill (one of the images above) is easier to cast.
Duly noted! The wiggling action is really similar to the rotator and buzz bomb lures gear fishers toss from the beach for coho and pinks. I think with some pink or chartreuse feathers and some flash it could be really effective - if a person can cast it out far enough.

Latest posts