Deerly hopper

pittendrigh

We'll see. I got this idea a month ago and finally found some time make one. This hopper is made entirely on a needle (wax the needle, add fabric cement on top of the wax, wrap on a tight, lengthwise hair/thread foundation, then spin deer hair body onto the foundation, with turkey feather kicker legs thrown in).

Then lash it loosely to a thread-wrapped hopper hook. Then soak the bottom side with fabric cement, so the fly stays put.

The goal was to end up with a foam-like hopper, without using foam.

Haven't fished it. Made it 30 minutes ago. And it's snowing like a sob right now. I like the look of it. I have a hunch I sew in a few legs up front. Loosely. And then have the final fabric cement keep those in place.

Last edited:

pittendrigh

I've been using fabric cement for a decade now. Will thus hold together? ......be surprised if not. But the proof is always in the pudding.

pittendrigh

RE> line twist. Good question. The Wings are turkey quill fibers. Kicker legs not wings. Not that it matters.

Yes I might have to make adjustments. Many hoppers have kicker legs. Somehow someway. So there will be options. The flexible independent-of-the-hook body is the main idea. It will be zero tomorrow but 40 again by the end of the week. So I will get a chance to cast it.

Last edited:

FinLuver

RE> line twist. Good question. The Wings are turkey quill fibers. Kicker legs not wings. Not that it matters.

Yes I might have to make adjustments. Many hoppers have kicker legs. Somehow someway. So there will be options. The flexible independent-of-the-hook body is the main idea. It will be zero tomorrow but 40 again by the end of the week. So I will get a chance to cast it.
Legs....??
Look like a spent wing... ;)
Your fly looked like the grasshoppers, I used to find along side the road, that had been clipped by a car....wings opened up.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts