NFR New Car Purchase - Antenna Options - SFR

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I have and love the satellite radio in my truck but find it very unreliable (signal loss) in canyons, tree cover,
Your post is actually related to the OP. Satellite radio service is something to consider with a new(er) car purchase. The problems with reception are typical of SHF, like GPS. I guess pros include consistent channels and programming regardless of where you travel. The cons include cost and reception. I listen to a lot of music and audiobooks I store on my phone when I'm on the road.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
My truck has a Sirius antenna and it is NOT a shark fin. Lays flat and is fairly small on the top of the truck cab.

So you might want to look at replacing the antenna by one that does not stick up. My reception with the flat antenna WAS pretty good.

Like Buzzy it did drop out on the in canyons and dense canopy covered roads.....but has never dropped out by Confluence Health in Wenatchee!!

cdnred

Newbie Fly Fisher
Our older CRV has a whip style antenna and it unscrews easily if I needed to remove it for long lumber or a ladder on the roof rack. We also have a Thule cargo box and I do not need to remove it in order for the cargo box to fit.
I bought a brand new Honda CRV back in 2007 with a factory roof rack on it. We later went to buy a Yakima Cargo Box to mount on top. The roof antenna was mounted right in the center of the roof near the back so we were limited by what size cargo box would fit. As it was, we bought the smallest they had and even at that it was sitting up against the antenna. I can't understand how car companies can be so &%@$ that they don't have any foresite to realize what problems they create. What's the point of having a roof rack if the antenna is mounted in the center..? It's not only Honda but other car companies are doing this as well.. Today I'm driving a 2017 Lincoln MKX and sure enough the antenna is mounted in the center as well but near the front this time. Car companies don't know what the word sensible and creative means.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I bought a brand new Honda CRV back in 2007 with a factory roof rack on it. We later went to buy a Yakima Cargo Box to mount on top. The roof antenna was mounted right in the center of the roof near the back so we were limited by what size cargo box would fit.
Are there screw on *AM/FM radio (not satellite radio, OnStar, GPS, cellular)* antenna mast connectors on the roofs of these vehicles? And are there after market screw on antenna masts that fold down?

Last edited:

Latest posts