Best source of mail order beads?

IveofIone

I never made it to a fly shop this year and my stock is a little down. With Friday being the official opening of fly tying season around here I need to resupply. So who is the best on line source of tungsten beads?

And pheasant tail? Halfbacks take a lot of pheasant tail and my stock of that has dwindled as well. If some of you bird hunters have some extra I would be happy to buy it from you. Biggest fish of the year-23'' but close to 6# -came on a size 12 Halfback last week along with the majority of fish that I caught this season. Latest iteration is to add a tiny strip of mylar to the wing case to create the Flashback Halfback. Nothing fancy, just barely noticeable. A real fish getter this fall.

jamma

I had a good experience with Feather Craft Fly Fishing out of St. Louis. If they don't have it, no one is making it.

obiwankanobi

The cheapest prices that I have found online have been from wholesale fly company and bwofly.com. You will be paying about $.10 -$.11 per bead and I have been pleased with their products. If you are looking for slotted beads Tactical Fly Fisher has always been my go to for cheaper beads and excellent customer service.

Meeshka

I like canadianllama.com out of Kamloops, British Columbia. Informative web site and very good selection. Ordered from them several times Great Service - Canadian funds.

Doug

Obsessed

If you use a lot of natural colored pheasant tail you might want to look to ebay in their craft section.

IveofIone

RE: Tungsten beads. If you want to support a local fly shop, support a local fly shop.
Otherwise, if you want to support a fly shop that may not be local, but is at least not Amazon you absolutely can't beat tacticalflyfisher.com

<$10 for a 50 pack, and very reasonable shipping rates.
Just a heads-up here, my "local" fly shop is a 180 mile round trip that uses about 10 gallons of gas at $3.19 a gallon. They when I get there I get to pay high prices and take what they have in stock. Sitting in my Lay-Z-Boy with a laptop and getting just what I want for $3.95 in shipping charges saves both money and a grueling drive. Amazon and UPS make life bearable here on the tundra.

mcswny

Just a heads-up here, my "local" fly shop is a 180 mile round trip that uses about 10 gallons of gas at $3.19 a gallon. They when I get there I get to pay high prices and take what they have in stock. Sitting in my Lay-Z-Boy with a laptop and getting just what I want for $3.95 in shipping charges saves both money and a grueling drive. Amazon and UPS make life bearable here on the tundra.
I wasn't saying that in a snarky way by any means.
I live in a city with multiple shops and I'm still known to order online.

Regardless, it's definitely hard to justify a shop when tactical fly is more than half the price.

IveofIone

If you use a lot of natural colored pheasant tail you might want to look to ebay in their craft section.
I tried using Ebay for the first time recently. I ordered a new radiator for my Subaru that was shipped from a company in California. It arrived a week late and damaged and the UPS driver wouldn't deliver it to me and sent it back to the company. I immediately ordered another from Amazon that actually arrived early and came in perfect condition.

I waited for a refund but it never came so I contacted Ebay and filed a claim stating that I never received the product. They stalled around for weeks with nothing definitive and finally said my opportunity to contest was expiring. Their final response was that they were denying my request for a refund. On their summation they listed the reason for my request as: "Never received the product" yet they refused my refund. My flirtation with Ebay is over and my $87 are gone, lesson learned.

Conversely, when I send something back to Amazon, once UPS logs it into their system a notification of a refund comes within an hour and the money shows up in my account in 2 or 3 days. And free return shipping as well.

Latest posts