Inexpensive but warm

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
I recently bought an Amazon Essentials down sweater in size medium for $39. It replaces my old down sweater that I bought in 1966 for more money. It is a better jacket than the old one ever was. I bought it in medium to fit close then bought another size large down sweater with a hood to layer over it. They work well in freezing weather without bulk and provide at least 6 extra layers of insulation/wind stoppage. I spent less than $100 on both of them.

There are many times when just a little extra warmth and wind protection are all that is needed and this fits the bill for that. Cheaper than a good flannel shirt and able to compress to almost nothing this has become a real favorite.

I get a kick out of reading reviews on products and this one was no different. The one star reviews spew hate and disappointment and the 5 stars gush over the price/value relationship. The reality of course is somewhere in between. I can't find any evidence of shoddy workmanship on mine and I have yet to see a single feather come out and it is the first thing I put on in the morning before bringing the house up to temp. With zippered side pockets and huge inside pockets perfect for a cell phone it has lots of utility and you can buy about half a dozen of them for the price on one name brand jacket that charges another $100 just for the logo.

It's keeping me warm here on the frozen tundra, the real bottom line.

Last edited:

Jim Darden

I recently bought an Amazon Essentials down sweater in size medium for $39. It replaces my old down sweater that I bought in 1966 for more money. It is a better jacket than the old one ever was. I bought it in medium to fit close then bought another size large down sweater with a hood to layer over it. They work well in freezing weather without bulk and provide at least 6 extra layers of insulation/wind stoppage. I spent less than $100 on both of them.

There are many times when just a little extra warmth and wind protection are all that is needed and this fits the bill for that. Cheaper than a good flannel shirt and able to compress to almost nothing this has become a real favorite.

I get a kick out of reading reviews on products and this one was no different. The one star reviews spew hate and disappointment and the 5 stars gush over the price/value relationship. The reality of course is somewhere in between. I can't find any evidence of shoddy workmanship on mine and I have yet to see a single feather come out and it is the first thing I put on in the morning before bringing the house up to temp. With zippered side pockets and huge inside pockets perfect for a cell phone it has lots of utility and you can buy about half a dozen of them for the price on one name brand jacket that charges another $100 just for the logo.

It's keeping me warm here on the frozen tundra, the real bottom line.
Congrats, you figured out how to filter out the BS and cut to the meat of the matter.....guess we aren't going to sell you a nano-puff.....

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
After a long winter the verdict is in and the two jacket duo for under $100 was a real winner. Most of the winter was spent wearing a merino wool long sleeved tee shirt, a flannel shirt and the little close fitting Amazon Essentials down sweater. On really cold days or with blowing snow I would add the second jacket with the hood. They kept me surprisingly warm and offered more utility than my big winter coats. I think I only used my down expedition jacket once when it got down to zero but always kept it in the car for the trip over the mountain just in case.

As far as durability the Amazon jacket was worn everyday and I even slept in it on a recent trip and it shows no sign of wear at all. When I was reading reviews before I bought it a number of people were haters calling it a POS and claiming that the feathers came out constantly, it didn't have enough down, etc. I found none of that crap to be true and thought that it was an excellent bargain.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info