FS WTB Echo Gecko

Northern

It's all good.
For a 4 year old? Get her a 6'6", 3/4 wt Eagle Claw Featherweight fly rod. Bright yellow, easy to cast, hard to break! I have a ton of rods in all price ranges, and I still fish my Eagle Claw a few times a year. You can order one from the big online retailer for $25-30. Use the savings to get a decent line for it!

Fork out the money for a new one, it's worth it. I bought the gecko for my son when he was probably 8. He is still using it at 14. Hard to through a tailing loop with the rod, casts very easy and the smaller handle and light weight is very nice for the kids. I end up fishing it quite a few times and have landed some pretty large bass on it.
The gecko will cast and fish circles around the eagle claw rods and make the fishing more enjoyable for the kid because of the ergonomics and weigh/swing weight.
Just my thoughts
I have owned the eagle claws and own quite a few older glass rods. For the younger kids I can't recommend the gecko enough.

LD

I had a Gecko for my daughter. It is truly a great rod, I would actually fish it once in a while. It was so easy to cast and you could feel the road load, so I used it when teaching at a local fly fishing club. Get one!

ryc72

gecko rocks. the extended fighting butt is a huge help for little kids. fish on, my girls put the butt right in the middle of their chest and go from there. my younger daughter when she was 5yo she would treat it like a switch rod and cast two handed. i use it as my small creek rod...this summer fished it a lot in yellowstone...caught a bunch of cutties on soda butte and hellroaring creek...such an awesome rod. i bought two of em new for ~$80 each for my girls...with any luck youll find em on sale for xmas. you see em once in a while pop up used for $50 or so...make sure to check ebay. good luck.

Northern

It's all good.
I have no doubt the Gecko is a better all around rod! I like Echos in general. My thinking on the EC was more around it being for a just barely 4 year old. In my experience as a mom of 2 girls, their attention span for wanting something at that age is longer than their attention span for actually playing with it ;)
That said, I've been obsessed with fishing from my earliest memories, so if she already seems fixated - go for the Gecko!

LD

The one mistake I made was taking my daughter out fly fishing only. If I were to do it over I would have spent much more time with a bobber or spin fishing. One nice thing about the Gecko is little ones can two hand cast them which can be much easier.

Latest posts