NFR Home Security

b_illymac

Staff member
I've dabbled with a few different camera's etc but now think I want to just invest in a system like Vivint. What do people like or recommend? Any bad experiences with the bigger names?

ffb

I've had the Ring Alarm system for about a year now. I also have the Doorbell Pro from them as well. $100/year for the professional monitoring including cloud storage for the camera. So far so good, I had one false alarm early on and the monitoring center contacted me immediately. You can pick up the system at Costco and add additional sensors as needed. It's all self install. I plan to add more Ring cameras down the road too.

Chic Worthing

Billy, when we started going south for the winter I purchased and installed a DSC system and have had no trouble with it. I do need to install new batteries on a regular basis. I think the best deterrent is a visible electronic device at the entry points of your home. Just the fact that they are there and lit up is supposedly a good deterrent. The inside is totally armed whenever I activate it.

Krusty

I second the Ring camera recommendation. Easy to install, free replacement if someone was stupid enough to steal one, and the photos reside on their cloud. It's also a godsend not going to the door to find people you don't really want to talk to (scumbag pandering sack of shit politicians and door-to-door sales people...no doubt a redundant statement!) standing at your threshold. It spots them long before they've rung your doorbell, and its infrared camera does a decent job seeing in the dark.

Rock Creek Fan

We have Simplisafe. Bought it at the time because it had the features and price we needed. It does work great and monitoring is very good. But now we wish we had not bought it because it does not have outside cameras which we now 'need'. It was bought by a LBO LLC and no new products since...

Ring is owned by Amazon. If that is an issue, look elsewhere.

Last edited:

jwg

No but in today's day and age I just want some added security
Plus, not a good idea to announce any current shortcomings of ones own security system on the internet!

Although that was not exactly what rob was asking
J

jwg

Curious if any of these devices or systems might be used to "bring outdoor sounds indoors".

Such as cameras that also have a mic whose output could be sent to an indoor speaker continuously

This could be good for situational awareness, like fires, sirens, or just unusual sounds, although really, I ask because I miss the outdoor sounds in summer when the house is closed up for AC

J

b_illymac

Staff member
Curious if any of these devices or systems might be used to "bring outdoor sounds indoors".

Such as cameras that also have a mic whose output could be sent to an indoor speaker continuously

This could be good for situational awareness, like fires, sirens, or just unusual sounds, although really, I ask because I miss the outdoor sounds in summer when the house is closed up for AC

J
They have video modes you can hear sounds like the postman loudly dropping your packages:mad:

Reactions: jwg

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I've dabbled with a few different camera's etc but now think I want to just invest in a system like Vivint. What do people like or recommend? Any bad experiences with the bigger names?
If you get Vivint make sure all the sensors work. Otherwise you will be the one replacing them. We have a "lame" window sensor and have had the system for two months. They've "tried" to fix the issue by me changing batteries, sending thru a software update and a bunch of other phone "help". They won't come out to replace the sensor. My position stated to them was "I paid for a working system and it's their responsibility to ensure it works perfectly before I assume responsibility". Bottom line is I'm getting a replacement sensor that I need to install.

Latest posts