NFR Home Security

Salmo_g

I'm uncertain about what good a home security system does after hearing that our county sheriff's dept stopped sending a deputy for home security alarms because of so many false alarms. I need to check with the sheriff's dept directly and see if it's true. If so, then the security system is just a noise maker.

My wife has talked about getting a new system with cameras and remote access via cell phone. I'm still not sure what good it would do if LE doesn't respond. So far our best security seems to be from spreading the word that we don't call 911. Instead we're armed, most likely dangerous, and most importantly, have a friend with a backhoe.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
We have an Arlo with three cameras. They are not cheap though. One is on the front porch and one on our patio. When we go somewhere we put one inside the house. I love that i can see when packages are delivered.

You have the videos for 7 days before they are deleted. (If you want to pay to keep all of them in the Cloud you can but we don’t. If i like a video i simply record it off my iPad with my phone.)

We get alerts on our iPhone and iPad and can set off a siren if need be. If someone is at our door we can even talk to them if we are not home. When we are out of town we put one inside the house.

My fuschia basket blowing in the breeze or my flag will sometimes set it off. We have a squirrel that also sets it off. I love that you can check it live too. When we were gone for a week in the summer i was able to see if my hanging plants were still doing okay with my watering system.

It also picked up the audio of the guys hired to cut down the big cedar tree outside our front door last August and i heard some pretty funny conversation. One long conversation about how they all can’t stand their ex-wives. So i had to tell them the next day that i could hear everything they said when the wind blows my fuschia. (You do have the capability of temporarily turning it off.)

It’s also has great nighttime exposure even when my front porch light is off.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
We have an Arlo with three cameras. They are not cheap though. One is on the front porch and one on our patio. When we go somewhere we put one inside the house. I love that i can see when packages are delivered.

You have the videos for 7 days before they are deleted. (If you want to pay to keep all of them in the Cloud you can but we don’t. If i like a video i simply record it off my iPad with my phone.)

We get alerts on our iPhone and iPad and can set off a siren if need be. If someone is at our door we can even talk to them if we are not home. When we are out of town we put one inside the house.

My fuschia basket blowing in the breeze or my flag will sometimes set it off. We have a squirrel that also sets it off. I love that you can check it live too. When we were gone for a week in the summer i was able to see if my hanging plants were still doing okay with my watering system.

It also picked up the audio of the guys hired to cut down the big cedar tree outside our front door last August and i heard some pretty funny conversation. One long conversation about how they all can’t stand their ex-wives. So i had to tell them the next day that i could hear everything they said when the wind blows my fuschia. (You do have the capability of temporarily turning it off.)

It’s also has great nighttime exposure even when my front porch light is off.
Wait 'till you have to replace the batteries.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Last about a year depends on usage and such...something like $80 to replace when ours went dead. I could be wrong on the price, but it was enough to make us rethink buying them. So far we haven't.

Just checked prices...aftermarket stuff is now available for less!

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
There are few things worth stealing anymore to support a drug habit....at least at my house.

I actually had a couple of daylight thieves case the house......don't ask, my wife invited them in after they rang the doorbell. They just kept staring at the Sony TV from 1979 with NO REMOTE and in a cart that we stored in closet when not using it. The graduate school furniture did not impress them either.

Hey, that's how we could afford a NICE house in a EXPENSIVE neighborhood by having graduate school furniture and VERY OLD TV's

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Last about a year depends on usage and such...something like $80 to replace when ours went dead. I could be wrong on the price, but it was enough to make us rethink buying them. So far we haven't.

Just checked prices...aftermarket stuff is now available for less!
We have had our system for 16 months and so far so good.

SawyerJones

cameras, dogs, and most importantly firearms and the skill to use them effectively.

These items, or any security item cannot be effective without planning, practice and going through the what if scenarios, calculating in unpredictable changes in an invasion/robbery situation.

At the end of the day we want to accomplish two things. Situational awareness which electronic systems can help us accomplish and staying alive and unharmed. Know whats happening and respond quickly with extreme aggression and assertiveness. A very high number of invasions and robbery end in the victims murder rape or torture or all 3. The best way to stop an attacker from carrying out these lethal crimes is to put bullets in them until they are no longer an immediate threat. Seconds count the most when the police are minuets away.

A camera system can aid us by providing information of whats happening on our property/home, and an alarm can trigger police (who call your home before lifting a finger to come out), but these things will not stop a desperate or deranged person from causing you harm. Only you can provide for your immediate physical safety, and that often means evening the odds and employing force.

I think ive gone off topic. Sorry.

Krusty

cameras, dogs, and most importantly firearms and the skill to use them effectively.

These items, or any security item cannot be effective without planning, practice and going through the what if scenarios, calculating in unpredictable changes in an invasion/robbery situation.

At the end of the day we want to accomplish two things. Situational awareness which electronic systems can help us accomplish and staying alive and unharmed. Know whats happening and respond quickly with extreme aggression and assertiveness. A very high number of invasions and robbery end in the victims murder rape or torture or all 3. The best way to stop an attacker from carrying out these lethal crimes is to put bullets in them until they are no longer an immediate threat. Seconds count the most when the police are minuets away.

A camera system can aid us by providing information of whats happening on our property/home, and an alarm can trigger police (who call your home before lifting a finger to come out), but these things will not stop a desperate or deranged person from causing you harm. Only you can provide for your immediate physical safety, and that often means evening the odds and employing force.

I think ive gone off topic. Sorry.
Take a deep breath Sawyer. It's gonna be alright.

Latest posts