NFR Home Security

Blacklabs

Driftin' with a dog
Arlo cameras outside with SimpliSafe inside. Two of the best products I’ve ever owned (besides Sage rods). We even brought Simplisafe with us to our new home a few years ago, added a few more sensors to cover additional doors and windows and it works flawlessly. Our first home we invested $1500 for a system installed plus monitoring every month...and had to leave it with the house. Dumb. Then found Simplisafe. Amazing...and reasonable. We just upgraded to the new system after using the old one since 2010 in our second home and now our third. Arlo cameras are crystal clear with two-way voice and recording. My cameras captured two tweakers trying to burglarize my garage (peering through the window and trying the side door handle) during the day while I was two hours from home on the river. Got instant alerts with video I immediately sent to the police. The apprehended and identified these two idiots a block away trying to break into another home. Couldn’t be happier with both systems.

Last edited:

brat

A camera system is only as good as your locks. A high security lock (Medeco, Mul-T-Lock, etc) on each door with a deadbolt (solid and at least 1" long) and a solid door jamb. Good lighting. Things that any casual (even professional) burglar would look at and just move on to an easier target. Secured windows and sliding doors. That's the key--don't be the easy target. Packages are stolen in my neighborhood daily at houses with cameras--the thieves just look the other way and wear hoodies. Cameras are great for (1)seeing who is at your door and (2)seeing what happened after the fact. They're not a great deterrent.

Rock Creek Fan

I prefer a system that is integrated with all devices working together in unison and are monitored. When people bring together non-interacting/non -integrated systems it is asking for trouble IMHO...

Blacklabs

Driftin' with a dog
I agree with you guys as I carry everywhere to protect myself and family. But...when I’m on the river and no one’s home our system has been tested and proven better to have something which will deter or aid in apprehending these clowns. Nothing will actually stop someone determined to get in your home...except a well trained legal gun handler waiting on the inside.

Last edited:

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
power over ethernet cameras (turrets, bullets, IR, 1080p, 4k, whatever brand you want, you can pick cameras to fit your needs) + a dedicated pc server (i5 with quicksync technology) + blue iris + a google voice for txt alerts and your money. best bang for the buck, you can have livestreaming, zone based motion detection, lots of cameras, local storage, and good future proofing with no monthly fees other then your internet

Reactions: jwg

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
also make your home a hard target. well lit with motion dectors (i use solar for most of my yard), good locks with reenforced kick plates, shatter proof window film, and no landscaping that obscures windows or doors from open view.

Krusty

We lock ourselves inside hermaphroditically sealed quarters when we sleep (home interior guarded by a roving band of barky chihuahuas), man the outboard gunports during our waking hours, keeping a close eye on our perimeter CCTV, motion detectors, laser grid, and external trip wire system. Was a lot easier before they de-zoned our neighborhood for claymores.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
power over ethernet cameras (turrets, bullets, IR, 1080p, 4k, whatever brand you want, you can pick cameras to fit your needs) + a dedicated pc server (i5 with quicksync technology) + blue iris + a google voice for txt alerts and your money. best bang for the buck, you can have livestreaming, zone based motion detection, lots of cameras, local storage, and good future proofing with no monthly fees other then your internet
I have almost no idea of what you just said, but it sure reads impressive.

jwg

I too would be interested in more info.
J

Rogue Fanatic

We lock ourselves inside hermaphroditically sealed quarters when we sleep (home interior guarded by a roving band of barky chihuahuas), man the outboard gunports during our waking hours, keeping a close eye on our perimeter CCTV, motion detectors, laser grid, and external trip wire system. Was a lot easier before they de-zoned our neighborhood for claymores.
hermaphroditically? sooooo AC and DC?

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I have been using the Blink cameras for about a year now, let's me know who and what comes around. So far no problems, armed and ready for zombies or heroin addicts... Fair warning...

jwg

heres what I think I understand from googling around
I'll put it out there as a straw man to be corrected by others.

cameras are wired in using ethernet, which also provides the power. POE, power over ethernet.
as opposed to wireless connections, and other ways of providing power

blue iris is the software, runs on PC server

pc server is the central computer

google voice.... less clear about its role

Please elaborate, anyone.

If I understand this, the advantages would include no need for wireless to be working for the system to work and no need to replace camera batteries. Installation would be harder due to running the ethernet wiring around, but more resilient in the long run.

J

Ps is there a router needed in there somewhere?

Last edited:

Latest posts