Fishing Halfbacks

Bob Newman

I can not remember when I last fished either a half-back or a full-back but I sure did when I was younger.... great fly... its funny how you get onto new flies and forget about the ones that got you started...... like Rat-faced Mcdougals, Spruce flies, Black gnats and Mosquito patterns....... I think I have a box of half-backs somewhere that I need to find.......
I was just thinking about that the other day while digging through fly boxes trying to find something different to use.I kept finding flies I hadn’t seen in years.

Unfortunately many folks are trying to invent the “new” hot fly and forget the patterns that got us here.

Islander

Steve
I remember way back when, a long time ago, you showed me that pattern and how to tie it. I still have some and use them on occasion. They are a productive pattern. The ones I tie are only half as good as yours, so I call them a "Quarterback".

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
Ive, funny how we all have our go to patterns. Mine is a Carey, Steve’s is his Camo Carey, Tim’s bead head simi seal leech, and when Scott goes dark a SWW...

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Yeah Rick, we are all different but the best part is that we all catch fish! I think to some extent we have a little of that .."if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. Learning how to fish a few patterns really well makes a lot more sense to me than changing flies like a butterfly in a flower garden.

I would kinda equate the latest hot fly contingent with the noobs that think an $800 fly rod will catch them 4 times as many fish as a $200 model.

Get good at what you got before you get more.

Bowbonehead

Ive, funny how we all have our go to patterns. Mine is a Carey, Steve’s is his Camo Carey, Tim’s bead head simi seal leech, and when Scott goes dark a SWW...
There you go again bringing up my past with a Carey Special next you'll be mentioning Doc Spratley's and 52 Buicks .......

Buzzy

There you go again bringing up my past with a Carey Special next you'll be mentioning Doc Spratley's and 52 Buicks .......
Getting away from Ive’s thread but can’t help myself. I guess it was about ten years ago three of us stopped at the Little Fort fly shop. That was where I was introduced to the ‘52 Buick. We stayed at an “off the grid” resort (snort) and fished new water to us. The ‘52 Buick accounted for quite a few fish. Forgot about the pattern.

Wayne Kohan

fish-ician
So Ive, do you tie yours with pheasant tail legs up front, or do you rib yours with hackle kinda like a wooly bugger? I’ve seen it tied both ways it seems.

A pic would be great, to echo dp.

Wayne

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Wayne, I have a helluva time posting pics on here. I'll see if i can send some to Old 406 Kid and have him post them. He's really good at that stuff and I'm not.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Wayne, I have a helluva time posting pics on here. I'll see if i can send some to Old 406 Kid and have him post them. He's really good at that stuff and I'm not.
How did you post that picture you have in your Avatar. You must of figured something out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts