Fishing Halfbacks

jamma

Ive, funny how we all have our go to patterns. Mine is a Carey, Steve’s is his Camo Carey, Tim’s bead head simi seal leech, and when Scott goes dark a SWW...
...and I like a Chan's Stillwater caddis in dark green or light olive.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
That's a good looking pattern Ron, any idea what the tail fibers and beard feathers are? I still fish bead heads on some stuff but am trying to get back to pre-bead patterns instead. The fly you show fills the bill, used with fast sink lines, a long leader and loop knot it seems that the flies move more naturally in the water. I could be full of crap but it seems to work for me.

Ron McNeal

Tony Clifton wanna-be....
That's a good looking pattern Ron, any idea what the tail fibers and beard feathers are? I still fish bead heads on some stuff but am trying to get back to pre-bead patterns instead. The fly you show fills the bill, used with fast sink lines, a long leader and loop knot it seems that the flies move more naturally in the water. I could be full of crap but it seems to work for me.
Looks like Guinea to me. First saw this photo on the STILLWATERS Facebook feed on 10/19; posted by a Dean Chrome (?):

Ive, I tie mine with Guinea, which I think was called for in the original recipe, but I'm sure hen grizzly hackle would work fine.
Dick

SpeyDragon

Dean Chrome is my FB user name.

The tail and beard are guinea, but I've used grizzly, mallard, and even pheasant tail. I'm a lazy tier, so whatever feather is laying around on the bench will get used.

A lot of folks mention using a red bodied Doc, and it's gotten me intrigued to give it a try next stillwater season.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts