Good online store for capes and saddles

Hendodesign

Who are your trusted sources for capes and saddles online? Im looking into getting a whiting pro to bronze grade cape and am curious where others on here have had good success.

Hendodesign

My trusted source is the local fly shop. I’m a hands on person, who inspects the capes and saddles for density, quality, and color.

There is no other trusted substitute!!
I don't want a debate on online vs local ... just people's experiences from various online feather retailers. Last time I went into a local shop their hackle selection was pretty picked over and way $$$$$$.

Rob Allen

Whiting although they are among the best have very irregular supplies. You'll find them where you find them.. I'd place orders over the phone to ensure the product you want is actually in stock.

Obsessed

Avid Angler and Pacific Fly Fishing have them in stock in most of the popular colors. Give them a call to see if they have what will work for you.

Hendodesign

You could try flyfishfood, they post actual pics of the item you're buying. Some eBay sellers do as well.
Ive used flyfishfood in the past ... for some reason didn't think of them for hackle. I just use them for dubbing since they carry the arizona synthetic and simi.

Bagman

Whitting has really cut back on the capes, I ended up buying off the big auction site.

Rob Allen

I don't know this as a fact but here is my theory.

Metz hackles were pretty good until they were bought by Umpqua. After that quality dropped. I think they were sending good stuff overseas to support Umpqua brand flies. Now there are so many overseas tyers using up all the materials so that supplies left for individual tyers here are low quality and lower quality..

Just my theory..

Squamishpoacher

It's been mentioned here and mentioned a lot before. Buying fur and feathers sight unseen you take your chances. A good seller will send you photos of what they have. Maybe contact a number of sources and request pictures. Then pick one. Good luck.

Darby

When I’m looking for a high quality natural product I normally call the Slide Inn, in MT. They’re pretty good at not stocking/accepting the sub-standard stuff, and the guys will go through their inventory, pick out what your looking for, describe it to you, and/or send you pic. I have bought some stuff from Root River Hackle, and was really satisfied, but it was for big streamer stuff. Cannot vouch for their other size hackles.

Last edited:

Latest posts