NFR StressLess chairs

the_grube

Looking at spending way too much money on one of these chairs. https://shop.stressless.com/en/c/recliners

Super comfortable chair and bomb proof. My sister has had one for 15 years and it looks almost new. Every time I sit in it my back feels like I'm 18 again.

Anyone got one and like or dislike it? Anyone own a good knock off? Thx

wetswinger

We have an IMG Nordic my wife loves. Not cheap but a bit less expensive than Stressless brand. Woodshed furniture store.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
@the_grube , i have long been interested in those chairs but i’m not a fan of their base because of my hardwoods and can’t put felt all around the bottom.

But a funny story. I’ve mentioned my 89 year old pub buddy friend Chuck who i meet every Thursday for a beer. It is getting more difficult for him to move around and now he mostly watches TV sitting in his chair that looks like Frasier’s Dad’s, complete with duct tape on the arms and the head stain on the back, dirty green print, Herculean kind of fabric.

So last year his daughter takes him to Seldens and they buy this Stressless Chair. Not a knock off either. A real Stressless chair. It’s ivory colored. I go to pick him up that week and notice his chair immediately and can’t believe it’s a Stressless cause Chuck can be fairly frugal. He said his daughter talked him into it and paid for part of it. They got a deal on it and the chair was over $2000.

The next week i go to pick him up and the Stressless chair has been moved and he is sitting in his Frasier Dad chair. His cat Conrad is curled up in the Stressless chair. Chuck decided he couldn’t stand the chair and that it was too difficult to get out of and he no longer wanted it. He still has the chair and now i laugh because the cat no longer sits in it, he likes the sofa. That Stressless chair has become a catchall, draped with jackets and papers and junk now.

I would have considered buying it from him if it was a better color.

Last edited:

wetswinger

@the_grube , i have long been interested in those chairs but i’m not a fan of their base because of my hardwoods and can’t put felt all around the bottom.

But a funny story. I’ve mentioned my 89 year old pub buddy friend Chuck who i meet every Thursday for a beer. It is getting more difficult for him to move around and now he mostly watches TV sitting in his chair that looks like Frasier’s Dad’s, complete with chair with duct tape on the arms and the head stain on the back, dirty green print, Herculean kind of fabric.

So last year his daughter takes him to Seldens and they buy this Stressless Chair. Not a knock off either. A real Stressless chair. It’s ivory colored. I go to pick him up that week and notice his chair immediately and can’t believe it’s a Stressless cause Chuck can be fairly frugal. He said his daughter talked him into it and paid for part of it. They got a deal on it and the chair was over $2000.

The next week i go to pick him up and the Stressless chair has been moved and he is sitting in his Frasier Dad chair. His cat Conrad is curled up in the Stressless chair. Chuck decided he couldn’t stand the chair and that it was too difficult to get out of and he no longer wanted it. He still has the chair and now i laugh because the cat no longer sits in it, he likes the sofa. That Stressless chair has become a catchall, draped with jackets and papers and junk now.

I would have considered buying it from him if it was a better color.
The IMG has little molded nubs where you put the sticky back felt pads, nice...

dld

My parents inherited two of the small-sized Ekornes chairs from my 4'10" grandmother a few years ago. They also have a knock-off of some sort, probably cost about a third of what the Ekornes did. The knock-off is a fine chair. The leather isn't as nice, and it doesn't have the support the Ekornes do, but I'd say that the knock-off is 85% as supportive and comfortable.

The Ekornes different sized chairs are a neat idea, but I think it is somewhat gimmicky. I can sit comfortably in the small chairs (I'm a slender 6'3"), and I can sit comfortably in the larger knockoff. I kind of prefer the smaller chair because the seat of the larger is so wide that I can't use the armrests as effectively--especially when reading.

That said, I think my Strongback camp chair rivals either of them for comfort.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
After watching my parents buy cheap living room furniture that didn’t hold up and had to be replaced I am a firm believer in buying the VERY BEST quality furniture that you can.

In 1983 i bought this Drexel Heritage sofa. People thought i was nuts because it was two months salary at the time and cost over $1600 which was a lot in 1983. Four years ago i had it recovered which cost nearly as much as i paid for the sofa originally, and it looks like a new sofa. I also bought a leather chair and ottoman from Seldens that i paid a lot for in 1998 that is also still in great shape. AFC76FDC-0EB9-4ED0-AFF1-24496056548C.jpeg

Greg Armstrong

Don’t buy the cheap knockoffs. They look nice and are really comfortable at first.
But then the foam begins to break down, and all thoughts of savings and comfort go out the window... Listen to Jojo! She’s right.

MT_Flyfisher

My wife and I bought a pair of LambrIght wall hugger swivel/recliner chairs several years ago for our Newmar RV. These are Amish made chairs located in Topeka, IN. We had looked at the Stressless chairs, but liked the Lambright chairs better, and they were cheaper - somewhere around $1,000 each.

We liked the first pair of these chairs so well that we bought for our RV that we ended up buying a second pair last year that we use in our home in PA in our sunroom.

The ”wall hugger” feature means that they recline, with a retractable footrest, kind of like a Lazy Boy chair, but unlike a Lazy Boy, they only need to be kept a matter of a couple inches away from the wall in order to recline them.

Our chairs are covered in Ultra Leather fabric, which is probably more durable than leather, but just as soft or softer, and easier to clean and maintain. There are a wide variety of color choices available as well for Ultra Leather.

I ordered our first Lambright chairs through a dealer in Florida, but picked them up at the Lambright location in Indiana, and took them to MT. I ordered the second pair of chairs from the factory direct and had them shipped to our home In PA. You do have to pay for shipping these chairs, one way or the other, and it might be rather costly to ship them to the west coast.

Lambright does have a website, but being Amish, their website is very sparse. You can get more information, I think, by looking at one of their dealer’s websites.

the_grube

After watching my parents buy cheap living room furniture that didn’t hold up and had to be replaced I am a firm believer in buying the VERY BEST quality furniture that you can.

In 1983 i bought this Drexel Heritage sofa. People thought i was nuts because it was two months salary at the time and cost over $1600 which was a lot in 1983. Four years ago i had it recovered which cost nearly as much as i paid for the sofa originally, and it looks like a new sofa. I also bought a leather chair and ottoman from Seldens that i paid a lot for in 1998 that is also still in great shape. View attachment 216610
Wish I could go back in time and convince my younger self to buy once and buy right on stuff like this. We just paid a 'kings ransom' for a new sectional that's made here in OR, is super comfortable and should last us until I either get drug off to the assisted living (ughhh) or get the viking funeral I want and feel I deserve.

the_grube

My wife and I bought a pair of LambrIght wall hugger swivel/recliner chairs several years ago for our Newmar RV. These are Amish made chairs located in Topeka, IN. We had looked at the Stressless chairs, but liked the Lambright chairs better, and they were cheaper - somewhere around $1,000 each.
Thx for the tip. I'll look into them

the_grube

Truth is, this topic is semi-fly-fishing related. After a hard day of wading ledge rock on the North Umpqua my back tends to go into 'let's get this bastard mode', and barks pretty loud. Having a comfortable chair to recuperate in will make getting up the next morning and hitting it again much easier...

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Truth is, this topic is semi-fly-fishing related. After a hard day of wading ledge rock on the North Umpqua my back tends to go into 'let's get this bastard mode', and barks pretty loud. Having a comfortable chair to recuperate in will make getting up the next morning and hitting it again much easier...
Funny shit there, yep lots of slippery ledge rock on the NU

dld

Lambright does have a website, but being Amish, their website is very sparse. You can get more information, I think, by looking at one of their dealer’s websites.
If they are Amish, how can they have have a website at all? They eschew technology for their image, but if it helps them, they are on board.

When I was 19, I visited a WI Amish furniture factory. The first thing I saw was this beautiful 14" miter saw. Saw the guy use it, it made a whirring noise that I connected to an air motor. They said their factory used no electricity, and it might not have, but I certainly saw a 50hp diesel powered air compressor out back.

This isn't a dig at Amish, just a dig on hypocrisy in general.

Thrasybulus

go c-hawks
StressLess chairs are great, I own 3 or 4 and enjoy them. You really should go to a store and take your time before selecting a model. Consider how you will use the chair too before buying.
Blow up the TV and use your awesome chair for reading, etc after a good work out.

MT_Flyfisher

If they are Amish, how can they have have a website at all? They eschew technology for their image, but if it helps them, they are on board.

When I was 19, I visited a WI Amish furniture factory. The first thing I saw was this beautiful 14" miter saw. Saw the guy use it, it made a whirring noise that I connected to an air motor. They said their factory used no electricity, and it might not have, but I certainly saw a 50hp diesel powered air compressor out back.

This isn't a dig at Amish, just a dig on hypocrisy in general.
l‘ve lived the majority of my life smack dab in the middle of one of the largest Amish communities in the country, in SE PA, and have grown to respect them and their lifestyle as much as any group of people I have known around the world.

My one son stopped at our house a couple weeks ago when he was on his way to a former Amish owned kitchen cabinet business that he and his partners had recently purchased. He said he was going there that day to help them get repairs on the diesel generator that they used to supply electricity to their business.

I don’t know much about that kitchen cabinet business, except that most, or all, of its employees were/are Amish. My son also mentioned something about them selling one of their kitchens to some customer in New York for $500,000. So, as far as their diesel generator, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Latest posts