Large e-commerce business targets small business owners with lawsuits

Elliott5400

Trademarks do have to be protected to prevents losing them.

But in this case "Backcountry" is a single generic term, a common place. A place meant to be untrammled, wild and free for any to enjoy.

There's nothing catchy or original about the name.

I see this as a bit of a corporate flex to affect competition. They've definitely lost my business and I'm sure I'm not the only.

So what do you think? Just another day of biz or corporate thugging?

Elliott5400

Appears the board has gone to hibernation for the winter.

That or if it doesn't go along the lines of which Patagucci is best or which rod to spend $800 on it doesn't appeal to much of the crowd.

Elliott5400

Not an appropriate topic for this forum.
Please explain to me why this isn't deemed appropriate.

Like there aren't members here who enjoy the backcountry who wouldn't be concerned over such a use of a common place term.

The company is also a supplier of many types of equipment that members here may be buying and using.

Really just not seeing how this topic isn't appropriate. I could pull more than a handful of less than appropriate topics from recent weeks.

SilverFly

I dunno, it's not that far off-center. This is about the outdoor recreational equipment industry after all, so what happens in ski-pants could happen in waders... (you know what I mean). Nobody said business had to be ethical to be profitable, but the customers are the ones who are ultimately in charge. Fortunately one of the good things about social media, including forums like this, is spreading the word about this kind of douch-baggery. I haven't skied in ages but there are plenty here who do. Hope this "backfires" on Backcountry.com.

Buzzy

Please explain to me why this isn't deemed appropriate.

Like there aren't members here who enjoy the backcountry who wouldn't be concerned over such a use of a common place term.

The company is also a supplier of many types of equipment that members here may be buying and using.

Really just not seeing how this topic isn't appropriate. I could pull more than a handful of less than appropriate topics from recent weeks.
I think this is appropriate and informative. I fished with Backcountry Anglers twice and wonder if they’ve been sued by this sue happy bunch if a—holes? So thanks for sharing. I sure as hell won’t buy anything, ever, from Backcountry.

Last edited:

FinLuver

The backlash is real for Backcountry.com

Type in “Backcountry.com sues”
You get several articles.

The parent equity group also has these brands in their stable...
Dutch Bros
Pabst Blue Ribbon
Stumptown Coffee Roasters
Famous Amos
Maguire’s
Comet

Just type in “TSG Consumer portfolio” for the full list

802flyfish

Lawsuit has been dismissed. I don’t think they realized how much of an uproar this would cause. Talk about bad PR..

Poff

Lawsuit has been dismissed. I don’t think they realized how much of an uproar this would cause. Talk about bad PR..
From my few minutes online this morning (looking at other articles published by the same news source), it sounds like there are other suits/legal action/requests for cancellation of trademark still pending against other companies.

May have missed some other key info.

Latest posts