Fishing around Glacier

Nils Pavey

Hi everyone,

In the middle of December I'll be coming down from Vancouver and staying in Glacier for the weekend with some friends who are going skiing at Baker. I'm going to spend the weekend on a river, and am wondering which one I should head towards. The Nooksack is right there, will it be somewhat productive that time of year? Salmon will be all but done then I'm assuming, steelhead is the main target if the regs allow it? Happy with bulls/ dollys, or trout in the upper section if it's productive. Wondering if I should head down to the Skagit/ Sauk instead. Any info would be greatly appreciated, it will be my first trip down there.

I'm looking forward to my first visit to some Washington rivers!

Nils

2kayaker

Hi everyone,

In the middle of December I'll be coming down from Vancouver and staying in Glacier for the weekend with some friends who are going skiing at Baker. I'm going to spend the weekend on a river, and am wondering which one I should head towards. The Nooksack is right there, will it be somewhat productive that time of year? Salmon will be all but done then I'm assuming, steelhead is the main target if the regs allow it? Happy with bulls/ dollys, or trout in the upper section if it's productive. Wondering if I should head down to the Skagit/ Sauk instead. Any info would be greatly appreciated, it will be my first trip down there.

Nils
Try a flesh fly downriver from Maple falls .

2kayaker

Try a flesh fly downriver from Maple falls .
My favorite days are busting powder at Baker followed by 'wadering- up' for a fish in the river. Used to be much easier when the Nooksack was open in Feb. and it's light later in the evening.

berkeleyjay

The north fork of the nooksack can be a good time and its right there in glacier..that being said, anything above nooksack falls will generally be smaller rainbows and some brookies. There are some smaller productive creeks in the area as well(Canyon Creek). Below the falls, the water level is usually higher and cloudier with a chance for bulls/dollys. Beautiful stretch of river though. The middle fork and south fork are productive & close by if you don't want to venture down to the skagit/sauk.

Brandonweeda

Floatin'
Hi everyone,

Nils
Make sure you take a little time to check out the regs for December; the north fork above the falls and all other tributaries with trout in the area will be closed to fishing. The north fork of the nooksack from the falls downriver will be open for trout only (the falls are above glacier) but the hatchery steelhead only go up to Kendall which is very far downriver from Glacier. Additionally last year by mid December the hatchery only had 12 steelhead total. Also keep in mind bull trout are in the river but they are listed as endangered and protected so make sure you keep them wet and gently release if you run into any. You should be able to find some fish if you work hard for them but December can be tough on the nooksack. If you are in Glacier that weekend and want some company I’d be happy to show you a couple spots in the area. Send me a PM.

Latest posts