Is this bear scat

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Fixed my name in your post...
Head and hide have been in my freezer since April 2016. It has a great coat.
Shit, that’s just rude. Apologies. Of course I mixed up tackles and guards today so don’t be offended. I’m on solo dad duties this week.

I don’t know if you could bleach that stuff and then dye it other colors but just that natural brown/black is super fishy.

Send me a patch and I’d be happy to see what I can send you back fly wise. Minus half of course. ;)

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
That one was pretty young and shot it in April on a spring bear tag. You woulda been surprised how mild it was. I processed it at home and took the rump to my mom's the next day and she made pot roast. I wouldn't have known it wasn't beef. Now I'm not a professional so the occasional hair in the burger was kinda annoying.
I shot a beautiful black bear boar that had 6-8" long ginger hair on it. It was more than 120 miles from the closest town, and it was pretty lean as the acorns in Northern Cal we just starting to drop. I was sort of excited that two things coincided for my first bear harvest. 1. a ginger black bear, and 2. early season California bear that had almost no chance of being a dumpster diver.

I had to shoot two feral pigs in the 80-120 lb class to "cut" that meat with. Then I made the whole thing into garlic pepperoni sticks.. Still just ok.

I can no longer justify ending a life for "just ok"..

2kayaker

That one was pretty young and shot it in April on a spring bear tag. You woulda been surprised how mild it was. I processed it at home and took the rump to my mom's the next day and she made pot roast. I wouldn't have known it wasn't beef. Now I'm not a professional so the occasional hair in the burger was kinda annoying.
I bet you forgot your hair net, right ?
Glad to hear the positive taste test. Render out the fat, strain through cheese cloth , preserve for great pastry shortening.

GeorgeV

I read bear fat rendered to oil is wonderful water proofing for boots and bear fat makes super pie crust. I've never had either one. I've use whale oil on my boots, not any better than Hubard's or neats foot oil, in my opinion.

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
Depends on what the bear eats. Mostly berry diet, they're pretty good if they're semi young.
Oh I agree that they are able to taste fine, but I am not willing to risk that they are less than excellent. Really not hurting for protein in my diet, so I pass on killing them. I don't judge you guys. It just isn't for me.