Guide Recommendation: Portland, Or

Brett28b

Hi,
Coming to Portland for a week 12/27-1/2 and want to swing flies for steelhead. Ideally looking for a guide within 2 hours of Portland. Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett

Mickeyd

Check with Mike Sturza guide service if interested in some southwest Washington rivers.
He's about 1 1/2 hours north of Portland.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Marty and Mia Sheppard at Little Creek Outfitters...they guide on the Sandy River for steelhead, and swing flies ONLY:

That'd be my recommendation as well. Thing is, not many of the local guides are particularly active in December. I don't think Marty and Mia are out on the Sandy until mid/late January if I'm not mistaken. I think Brian Silvey may be out there a bit in December if it's happening, but it's a crapshoot.

Rob Allen

Gonna be unpopular for saying this but.

There is little to no fishing close to Portland worth 500 bucks a day for any native species and way too many guides asking for it.
Just my opinion. I second the idea if hitting up Mike Sturza. For a trip on your way to Portland

DerekWhipple

Since that is "early" in the season, maybe go out to the coast? Only 1.5 hours to get there. Fish could be even closer if the rains cooperate.

Also, I don't think many guides go after steelhead in December/January on the Deschutes. Deschutes only has summer fish, so by that time of year they are just hunkered down and trying to make it to spawning time. I'd leave 'em alone. Trout fishing can be good though, and nobody will be out there.

Latest posts