Fall Risers

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
Fished a lake near Bellingham and did surprising well on green damsel fly imitations. Fish were rising everywhere but couldn't figure out what. Saw a lot of fish tails. Saw small black bugs that I thought were midges but they were too small to make out. Any ideas? Tried a couple midge patterns but no takers. Any ideas on what they were eating? What do you guys normally throw in this scenario.

Reactions: dfl

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
Hi HawaiianInWa-

My guess is that the were feeding on small midge pupae just below the surface, and were eager for the opportunity to chomp on something a lot larger. ;)
If in doubt throw an Adams? Would a good subsurface midge be an rs2 ungreased?

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
Water boatmen? Maybe? Probably ascending pupae like Taxon said.
Very small, black looked like a small mosquito. Fish were swirling. I went out again today and had a similar experience. Lots of tails. Still got a couple on a good ole green leech. How would you approach this?

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
I just saw the Blind Casters Anonymous. I love it. Didn't know there was a group. I need to join that one.
Hawaii based group also know as the bonefish bombers (not really a real group). A funny way to describe people who have had enough sight fishing for difficult bone fish and resort to hitting the deeper channels.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
We used to have a lot of luck on western wa lakes in the fall with a midge pattern tied parachute style.
Kind of like a klinkhammer pattern so the body of the fly would hang under the surface film.

Another pattern to consider trying would be Lasha's Raccoon, which does a great job representing the emerging midge from the pupa.
I like to tie them with a foam back for better durability.
SF

tkww

A very small unweighted chironomid might work. Like this, and put floatant on the gill tufts. That you're seeing tails makes me think they're taking things a few inches beneath the surface, so you could try suspending something beneath a very small indicator or another fly. A griffith's gnat is a pretty darn good fly for midges and should make a decent indicator fly too.

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
A very small unweighted chironomid might work. Like this, and put floatant on the gill tufts. That you're seeing tails makes me think they're taking things a few inches beneath the surface, so you could try suspending something beneath a very small indicator or another fly. A griffith's gnat is a pretty darn good fly for midges and should make a decent indicator fly too.
I had a gnat. I should have thrown it. 5x wasn't fitting through the eye and didn't feel like dealing with 6x... Anybody else in the greater whatcom area see a decline in fish size at squalicum? All fish caught were >14. Sounds like the lack of people filling out catch cards has lowered it's priority for WDFW stocking....

O' Clarkii Stomias

Griffith's Gnat as an indicator? Wow! I don't think my eyes were good enough in my 20s let alone in my 50s. Hats off!

Reactions: SHD

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I do not fish lakes a ton. However, back in the day when I fished rivers a bunch, swirling fish feeding just below the surface always got small comparaduns ungreased either dead drifted or very slowly retrieved with the old wrist twist retrieve (there is a technical term for that tactic that I forget). Sometimes with a trailer consisting of another comparadun or something else emergery.

Rainbow caught on a grey emerger size18 casting to rising fish caught 5 on emergers the presentation has to be exactly where the fish is going to come up next lone lake today there wasn’t a lot of fish rising but I made it happen also caught 8 on chronomids fishing with two rods one rod rigged up with chronomids they other rod rigged up with my emerger

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts