Fall Risers

jamma

A very small unweighted chironomid might work. Like this, and put floatant on the gill tufts. That you're seeing tails makes me think they're taking things a few inches beneath the surface, so you could try suspending something beneath a very small indicator or another fly. A griffith's gnat is a pretty darn good fly for midges and should make a decent indicator fly too.
Emerging midges like to attach their tails to the surface film and lever their heads up through the meniscus, one of the hardest things to imitate. I have had some success tying a small strip of white foam on top of the shank, sticking out both ends after the body is added.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
Very small, black looked like a small mosquito. Fish were swirling. I went out again today and had a similar experience. Lots of tails. Still got a couple on a good ole green leech. How would you approach this?
I've done well on that lake with a size 16 soft hackle with an olive or hares ear dubbed body tied sparse. Pattern which way the fish is moving and cast where you think it will rise next. It's cool when it comes together.

HawaiianInWa

Blind Casters Anonymous
I've done well on that lake with a size 16 soft hackle with an olive or hares ear dubbed body tied sparse. Pattern which way the fish is moving and cast where you think it will rise next. It's cool when it comes together.
Yeah has mild success doing this. Not anything crazy considering the amount of rising fish. Have you noticed a decrease in fish size? All fish were <14...

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
Yeah has mild success doing this. Not anything crazy considering the amount of rising fish. Have you noticed a decrease in fish size? All fish were <14...
It's been a couple years since I fished there.
I never did catch many larger trout.

SHD

Doesn’t always work but fast stripping a bugger type pattern has gotten me plenty of hook ups in an emerger situation.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts