Straight Eye, Heavy Wire Curved Hooks?

Old406Kid

I currently tie most of my chironomids on heavy wire scud hooks or Daiichi 1760 curved hooks.
I would like to find a heavy wire hook with a straight eye that's comparable to the 1760.
Any suggestions?

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
WFF Supporter
How about Mustad 37160 BR wide-gap hooks, Dean? I've used them down to size 14, but they make them down to size 18.

I tied some Damsel nymphs on the 14s for a Nephew & he has caught some big trout on them back home. I've used them from sizes 8 to 12 for stand-up carp patterns with no issues - and with a high percentage of hook-ups. IMGP0431.JPG

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
WFF Supporter
That's what I was looking for when I found these. If somebody comes-up with a source, we'll both be happy :D.

SHD

Those Firehole hooks look great. I’ve been using the Alec Jackson chiro hooks and they have been awesome so far. Was tired of bending out lighter hooks on bigger fish. They do have a slight bend at the eye though and are kind of spendy.

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Those are pretty good looking!
Did you find them local or online?
Dean - I think you may have already found a source of an alternate hook (Firehole) that you like but the Maruto hook has me really curious. I sent a note to Maruto asking about a supplier closer to home than Parksville, BC. Of course we could take the ferry to Nanaimo (or take the MV Coho from PA) and visit the sporting goods store in Parksville. :rolleyes:

Mike Ediger

WFF Supporter
Dean - I think you may have already found a source of an alternate hook (Firehole) that you like but the Maruto hook has me really curious. I sent a note to Maruto asking about a supplier closer to home than Parksville, BC. Of course we could take the ferry to Nanaimo (or take the MV Coho from PA) and visit the sporting goods store in Parksville. :rolleyes:
Pat, let us know what you find out from Maruto. I also like that they are black Nickel.

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Pat, let us know what you find out from Maruto. I also like that they are black Nickel.
Hi Mike!
Will do. I'm emailing back and forth with Maruto - they're in Osaka and there's a 17 hour time difference not to mention English and Japanese translation issues..... I tie a lot on Alec Jackson covert nymph hooks, really like their shape and they seem to hook fish well. Mostly I've bought their chrome finish...... I really don't know if it matters.... but the black finish on the Maruto has me hooked.

Pat

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock