Trip Report Oregon - The Metolius

Rock Creek Fan

The Metolious humbles the best of fishermen. I know :(

It tests every fisherman's skills: reading of the water, using the right fly, presentation skills, and how to fish different depths all rolled into one...

I dare to say if you catch fish, especially bulls, on the Metolious, you can catch fish anywhere...

gt

fished there for decades, always June or October. a humbling river to fish but you can figure it out if you take the time and expend the energy. not easy by any means, however.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
How to catch a Bull on the Met:
Catch a redband, 6” or better. Hook him in the lip or through the dorsal and tie a spark plug to end of line, 3-way swivel and 6’ of 0x leader. Drop in in the deep slots.
Add to this - have a nice chat with game warden, pay large fine and lose fishing license....

Actually I have found the best way to catch a bull trout on the Met is to spot one before he sees you, then to drift a flesh fly down to him at his level. Met fish can be pretty obliging if you don’t go galumphing around like a horny elephant, but once they know you’re there it’s over.

FinLuver

Winter fishing...JAN/FEB
Two or three fly indicator setup
Bottom fly very heavy “sacrificial” black stone, with or w/o hook point still attached.
Next fly small heavy pinkish/orange shrimp looking
Next fly very small black midge larvae
Switch the position of the two smaller flies or go two of the same.
Check the regs for open water and dress warm.

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
Winter fishing...JAN/FEB
Two or three fly indicator setup
Bottom fly very heavy “sacrificial” black stone, with or w/o hook point still attached.
Next fly small heavy pinkish/orange shrimp looking
Next fly very small black midge larvae
Switch the position of the two smaller flies or go two of the same.
Check the regs for open water and dress warm.
I think that "cast of three" works anywhere.

Solitude

Did you feed the big bull trout some cheetos off the wood deck, across from the store parking lot? Pretty cool seeing them come up and eat there.

gt

don't tell anyone but just upstream from the bridge is a rock wall on the far side where if you cleverly drift a big black fly, you might actually hook one.

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
Did you feed the big bull trout some cheetos off the wood deck, across from the store parking lot? Pretty cool seeing them come up and eat there.
I went there and there were no fish. Someone said to his wife, "Honey the bull trout aren't here this year".

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock