Trip Report Oregon - The Metolius

Solitude

I went there and there were no fish. Someone said to his wife, "Honey the bull trout aren't here this year".

Wow.. that's interesting. I grew up in Bend and still go back there often. We always stop and toss some cheetos under that bridge...... that'd be a bummer if the fish weren't there anymore.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Lucky enough to have been there twice. Sublimely beautiful water. Almost hypnotic at some spots. However, I've never seen and heard such snotty, impolite fish. The laughter, the snickering, the stuck-up noses.... I'll never go back. F*#k'em.
I agree. Fished it twice in past 10 years.

Nice camping, great sandwiches at the small deli/store/fly shop.

Fun as hell to feed store bought doritoes to gluttonous trout. Exciting to see trout snatch Doritos from surface film at bridge.

garyk

Not unlike other rivers, it really takes several days to get into the rhythm of what is happening. On the Metolius, the clues are more subtle, and there's a very good chance that what's happening in one location - say an Ameletus spinner fall at Pioneer Ford - will not be happening at Allingham Bridge just a couple miles upstream.

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
Not unlike other rivers, it really takes several days to get into the rhythm of what is happening. On the Metolius, the clues are more subtle, and there's a very good chance that what's happening in one location - say an Ameletus spinner fall at Pioneer Ford - will not be happening at Allingham Bridge just a couple miles upstream.
I didnt catch fish until I went to the upper stretch above Wizard Falls. Definitely a choosy lady!

Last edited:

badseed91

New to Oregon
How to catch a Bull on the Met:
Catch a redband, 6” or better. Hook him in the lip or through the dorsal and tie a spark plug to end of line, 3-way swivel and 6’ of 0x leader. Drop in in the deep slots.
This is the truth. Went out over the weekend and we hooked two bows, one whitefish, and each time the bull trout we were targeting would go well out of its way to attack them.

Last edited:

freestonebound

It's honestly one of my favorite rivers to fish. If you stay on the water long enough, you'll run into some good fish.

I've found they're particularly fond of emergers during a hatch, rather than adults.
I bumped into a local. He told me the same thing. He went to his campsite and then came back and gave me some emergers. That's what I love about fly fishing... Even when the fishing is tough you bump in to some cool people from our community and we all speak the same language.

GAT

Dumbfounded
The Met was my teaching river. It is there where I learned to dead drift fish a nymph and emerger pattern. Except we didn't call the heavy stonefly nymph a "tool fly" but a Kaboomer because we tied some very, very stoneflies to get the target patterns down to the trout.

Everything I know about multiple fly presentations and dead drift fishing I learned by fishing The Met numerous times a month, the year around when I could.

Me and the guys did get pretty good at nymph fishing and trout catching ...but if you are a die hard dry fly angler, The Met is not a fishery where you will catch a lot of fish. Sure, there are times and places, which I hold close to my chest, where dry flies will work quite well but those places and times are few and far between.

freestonebound

The Met was my teaching river. It is there where I learned to dead drift fish a nymph and emerger pattern. Except we didn't call the heavy stonefly nymph a "tool fly" but a Kaboomer because we tied some very, very stoneflies to get the target patterns down to the trout.

Everything I know about multiple fly presentations and dead drift fishing I learned by fishing The Met numerous times a month, the year around when I could.

Me and the guys did get pretty good at nymph fishing and trout catching ...but if you are a die hard dry fly angler, The Met is not a fishery where you will catch a lot of fish. Sure, there are times and places, which I hold close to my chest, where dry flies will work quite well but those places and times are few and far between.
It's funny you say that. The whole time I was on the Metolius I never fished a dry fly. I caught the one redside rainbow pictured in my report on a tandem rig with three flies. The anchor fly was a brown stonefly and that's the one he took.

Last edited:

surfnfish

was on the Met by the footbridge, late afternoon turning into dusk, fruitlesly casting large Sofa Pillow's to no avail as big trout slashed the surface.
Earlier my wife had gotten tired of the 'no takes' and headed downstream by herself..after a while, getting a bit worried about her, reeled in and hiked downstream a half mile to find her with rod bent deep.
By the time I got there, she had released what turned out to be her second bull trout..walking back upstream with her to where she had hooked up, noted the large white mayfly tied to her leader..
"why that fly?"
"because I can see it", she replied, now standing back on the knee deep ledge, just past the ledge a drop off with a dozen or so large bull's finning, holding position...
as soon as I saw them, I started unstringing my rod, pawing through my flybox..
"what are you doing?"
'well, going to join you"
"sorry, honey, this is my run...go find your own fish"

Last edited:

freestonebound

Nice report! My Met reports could be summed up like this:

"Very pretty river. Caught zero fish."

Love the place and want to go back more often than I do. But....sigh. I do not know how to fish that river.
I think every HONEST fisherman has a river like that. Mine is the Roach River in Maine. I refuse to use a Grey Ghost (on LL Salmon) on principle alone.

circlespey

Guys if my 11 year old can catch Metolius fish then you can too... this photo taken last week FYI. Just kidding, this place has always bamboozled me too, but we did get a few nymphing in the hour or two we fished while on a family excursion. 85705C7E-7C1B-4518-97A2-F9FBEF5C1645.jpeg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info