Trip Report Oregon - The Metolius

Solitude

I went there and there were no fish. Someone said to his wife, "Honey the bull trout aren't here this year".

Wow.. that's interesting. I grew up in Bend and still go back there often. We always stop and toss some cheetos under that bridge...... that'd be a bummer if the fish weren't there anymore.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Lucky enough to have been there twice. Sublimely beautiful water. Almost hypnotic at some spots. However, I've never seen and heard such snotty, impolite fish. The laughter, the snickering, the stuck-up noses.... I'll never go back. F*#k'em.
I agree. Fished it twice in past 10 years.

Nice camping, great sandwiches at the small deli/store/fly shop.

Fun as hell to feed store bought doritoes to gluttonous trout. Exciting to see trout snatch Doritos from surface film at bridge.

garyk

Not unlike other rivers, it really takes several days to get into the rhythm of what is happening. On the Metolius, the clues are more subtle, and there's a very good chance that what's happening in one location - say an Ameletus spinner fall at Pioneer Ford - will not be happening at Allingham Bridge just a couple miles upstream.

freestonebound

Not unlike other rivers, it really takes several days to get into the rhythm of what is happening. On the Metolius, the clues are more subtle, and there's a very good chance that what's happening in one location - say an Ameletus spinner fall at Pioneer Ford - will not be happening at Allingham Bridge just a couple miles upstream.
I didnt catch fish until I went to the upper stretch below Wizard Falls. Definitely a choosy lady!

badseed91

New to Oregon
How to catch a Bull on the Met:
Catch a redband, 6” or better. Hook him in the lip or through the dorsal and tie a spark plug to end of line, 3-way swivel and 6’ of 0x leader. Drop in in the deep slots.
This is the truth. Went out over the weekend and we hooked two bows, one whitefish, and each time the bull trout we were targeting would go well out of its way to attack them.

Last edited:

freestonebound

It's honestly one of my favorite rivers to fish. If you stay on the water long enough, you'll run into some good fish.

I've found they're particularly fond of emergers during a hatch, rather than adults.
I bumped into a local. He told me the same thing. He went to his campsite and then came back and gave me some emergers. That's what I love about fly fishing... Even when the fishing is tough you bump in to some cool people from our community and we all speak the same language.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock