Rain Bibs?

Old406Kid

You guys on the west side should be experts on this one. :D
I'm looking for uninsulated, waterproof, breathable bibs with a front zipper and zippered legs that don't break the bank, hopefully under 100$, as they will only get occasional use.
Sizing suggestions would help too. I'm just shy of 5'8" and 190 lbs.

Any and all recommendations appreciated

Old406Kid

When I did a search I thought it would be easy but found alot of insulated ice fishing bibs and of course
200 mph Bass bibs.

Peyton00

I dont know the extent of the leg zippers u are asking about, but i have some golf rain pants that are comfy and keep me dry. Easy on and off over pants and shoes.

Rogue Fanatic

I have owned Gage (cheaper Grunden's), Grunden's, Helly Hanson, Gill, Cabelas, LL Bean, and Columbia. In my experience, generally speaking, more $$ = more durability. Not always and not always by a lot but that's what i have seen. Your price point is cheap and you want features so something has to give. REAL Gore-Tex is better than knock-offs but that will mostly show itself in a day-long downpour. If you're only concerned about staying dry-ish in typical PNW drizzle you can get by with lighter and cheaper. Since I fish salt the most the thing I find that fails the most are the zippers and that's true for all the brands above. For your parameters, the brand I have felt provide the best bang-per-buck are the Columbia Performace Fishing Gear PFG (Columbia uses its own GoreTex clone. it works ok). Now if you think these are going to survive bush-whacking through MT thickets, they aren't going to for very long. If you want something you can store under the seat in your driftboat when a cloudburst surprises you, they'll be great. For your size and thinking you'll want to pull them on over your fishing clothes, I think the Large is about right. I am 6' and 220# and the XLs are roomy. good luck!

1573237719723.png

Salmo_g

I'm still using the Helly Hanson rain bibs I got over 40 years ago - only one seam patch. No zippers. Not breathable, but that doesn't matter for fishing from a boat. And they're baggy enough to just slide the pee bottle inside when I need to relieve myself. The price is still readable on the label; it says $34.88. I think they cost more now.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Back when I commercial fished I always bought the coat one size bigger than the bibs, nothing in my opinion was worst than a tight fitting coat

Old406Kid

I have owned Gage (cheaper Grunden's), Grunden's, Helly Hanson, Gill, Cabelas, LL Bean, and Columbia. In my experience, generally speaking, more $$ = more durability. Not always and not always by a lot but that's what i have seen. Your price point is cheap and you want features so something has to give. REAL Gore-Tex is better than knock-offs but that will mostly show itself in a day-long downpour. If you're only concerned about staying dry-ish in typical PNW drizzle you can get by with lighter and cheaper. Since I fish salt the most the thing I find that fails the most are the zippers and that's true for all the brands above. For your parameters, the brand I have felt provide the best bang-per-buck are the Columbia Performace Fishing Gear PFG (Columbia uses its own GoreTex clone. it works ok). Now if you think these are going to survive bush-whacking through MT thickets, they aren't going to for very long. If you want something you can store under the seat in your driftboat when a cloudburst surprises you, they'll be great. For your size and thinking you'll want to pull them on over your fishing clothes, I think the Large is about right. I am 6' and 220# and the XLs are roomy. good luck!

View attachment 216883
Thanks, no salt fishing and the primary use would be stillwater fishing out a boat.
I have some shell pants but with shorter wading jackets there's a tendency to have cold water run down the crack of my ....:eek:

Buzzy

Dean - like @Salmo_g I have a pair of non breathable pvc Helly Hansen bibs. I wear them in my pram when the BC rain or snow or hail starts filling the boat. They’re yellow, ugly and very effective (oh, durable - 35+ years of use). No zippers on the legs or the front, pee bottle works (usually). I have tried two different pair of “waterproof” pants and both of them aren’t waterproof - heavy rain and sitting on my boat seat is a wet a$$.

I recently bought a pair of Redington waist high waders. Jury is out but so far I really like them for boat use. Redington’s are stocking feet so you have to wear wading boots but then you need knee boots with bibs......

Latest posts