Buying a rod on the internet

freestonebound

I was going to buy a switch rod from a guy on the internet. This is through speypages . Com How do you go about buying and item and making sure that you get the product? Can someone please explain the procedure for a smooth transaction?

Mike Ediger

I don’t know spay pages, but they been around for a long time. I’ve had some not so good luck on other sites. But here I’ve shipped stuff before getting paid, I’ve had guys ship me stuff to try it before I paid for it, and I’m not sure I’ve ever had a problem. Worst issue has been a few times people of said they would take it and then they disappear and never follow through, but nothing was exchanged so it was not a big deal. Just communicate via p.m. before you make the deal. Sometimes I exchange phone numbers and call and chat with people or have them call and chat with me. Ask questions, ask for photos if you have concerns, but most guys around here are pretty good.
Just be wary of anybody with the last name Melfa on any site.:eek:

freestonebound

I don’t know spay pages, but they been around for a long time. I’ve had some not so good luck on other sites. But here I’ve shipped stuff before getting paid, I’ve had guys ship me stuff to try it before I paid for it, and I’m not sure I’ve ever had a problem. Worst issue has been a few times people of said they would take it and then they disappear and never follow through, but nothing was exchanged so it was not a big deal. Just communicate via p.m. before you make the deal. Sometimes I exchange phone numbers and call and chat with people or have them call and chat with me. Ask questions, ask for photos if you have concerns, but most guys around here are pretty good.
Just be wary of anybody with the last name Melfa on any site.:eek:
Good to know. Thanks.

Dan Page

Have bought and sold on SP a lot over the almost 20 years I've been on there. Never had a problem, but in recent years there has been the occasional issue. Beware of any seller with short time and very few posts on SP. As mentioned PP is a safe way to go. The idea of phone call not a bad idea on a high dollar item, but no guarantees there either. Having the stated right to return the item if not satisfied is a plus. The moderators work to keep the place legitimate.

castsN2trees

The fish are calling.....
I was going to buy a switch rod from a guy on the internet. This is through speypages . Com How do you go about buying and item and making sure that you get the product? Can someone please explain the procedure for a smooth transaction?
Hey buddy....as others have suggested, use PayPal for payment and check the sellers profile... if they’ve been a member of a forum for some time, there is a good chance they care about their reputation....

Also, PM the seller and ask any questions that you are unclear on.... if something seems a little off, it is probably unintentional.... not a deliberate attempt to deceive....

I’ve bought and sold a good number of rods online.....the only issue I had is when I bought a “new” Spey rod on eBay and it showed up with no rod tube.... the seller correctly pointed out that there was no tube in the posting photos..... and I acknowledged the oversight on my part but pointed out the description did not specifically say “no tube”.... we were at a momentary standstill til he agreed that an undriven car with no doors was not a “new” car... I sent the rod back, he refunded my money, and the he relisted the rod with “no tube”...

There are always risks.... but if you know what rod you want, take a minute to verify a couple details about the seller, buy the rod at a price that works for you, pay with PP....the odds are stacked in your favor....

You wouldn’t want to buy a T&T Zone 6wt, would you...... just kidding ..... have a good wknd

freestonebound

Hey buddy....as others have suggested, use PayPal for payment and check the sellers profile... if they’ve been a member of a forum for some time, there is a good chance they care about their reputation....

Also, PM the seller and ask any questions that you are unclear on.... if something seems a little off, it is probably unintentional.... not a deliberate attempt to deceive....

I’ve bought and sold a good number of rods online.....the only issue I had is when I bought a “new” Spey rod on eBay and it showed up with no rod tube.... the seller correctly pointed out that there was no tube in the posting photos..... and I acknowledged the oversight on my part but pointed out the description did not specifically say “no tube”.... we were at a momentary standstill til he agreed that an undriven car with no doors was not a “new” car... I sent the rod back, he refunded my money, and the he relisted the rod with “no tube”...

There are always risks.... but if you know what rod you want, take a minute to verify a couple details about the seller, buy the rod at a price that works for you, pay with PP....the odds are stacked in your favor....

You wouldn’t want to buy a T&T Zone 6wt, would you...... just kidding ..... have a good wknd
All good things to know. Much appreciated. I'm good on the T & T, lol.

I have bought a lot of rods and sold a couple over the years from here, speypages and ebay.

As mentioned above, I always use Paypal and pay through "good and services" as you have some recourse over sending funds through "friends and family".

On the above sites, you can look through a sellers posts or feedback and get an idea of who you are dealing with. Although they may be very legit, I will generally avoid a new user with one or two posts.

Salmo_g

I've bought several things on SP classifieds. Zero issues ever. Sometimes I used Paypal; sometimes I sent a check and trusted that the sale would be above board. It was.