SBS Claretbumbler’s Muddled Mayfly

ScottP

Just a matter of shifting everything on the original from the chukar back just a tiny bit on the shank to make room for the head.

hook - WFC Model 6 #6
thread - MFC 6/0, Danville Depth Ray (head only) fire orange
tail - bleached pheasant dyed orange (1Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water)
rib - small wire gold
body - dubbing orange
body hackle(s) - olive/Grizzly dyed yellow (1 Tbs Rit Lemon Yellow, 1/2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow/1 cup water)
1st shoulder hackle - fluoro yellow
2nd shoulder hackle - chukar partridge dyed orange (1Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water)
head - deer hair dyed olive

mash barb, start thread at 2/3 mark; wrap to bend

strip some pt fibers; measure (2x shank length), tie in/trim, tie in rib

dub thread/dub body

tie in hackles; palmer rearward to bend

capture tips of hackle with wire, continue forward thru hackle to 2/3 mark; helicopter end, cover with thread, trim hackle tips

scrub everything to the rear with velcro brush

tie in hackle by tip, fold rearward; wrap, tie off/trim

repeat with chukar

the deer hair I had was pretty stiff and coarse, so I had to switch to heavier thread to spin it properly; clean, stack, measure (hook length) a clump of deer hair

surround shank with hair, take 2 soft loops, trim hair even with hook eye, spin (to get it tight, I pushed on the hook eye with my right thumbnail while applying as much tension as possible with the bobbin)

push hair back, build thread head, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

Regards,
Scott

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock