Russell Chatham has died.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
I wish I could have spent some time with him. What a rich, deep and beautiful soul.
I really admired him. His outdoors writings are beatific. Especially his book of essays: "Dark Water." He wrote as intriguingly about food as he did about hunting and fishing. His duck cooking recipes will have you drooling. I think that his essay on how to approach winter steelhead fishing is among the best words ever written on the subject. His landscape paintings were transcendent.

Last edited:

Riogrande King

This excerpt from the Introduction to “Silent Seasons” is just one reason we all envied Russell Chatham-

Tom McGuane once wrote in “Sports Illustrated”, with reference to (Chatham), the following: “I can see my friend and neighbor, a painter, walking along the high cutbank above the water. This would be a man who has ruined his life with sport. He skulks from his home at all hours with gun or rod. Today he has both.

“ ‘What are you doing?’

“ ‘Trout fishing and duck hunting.’

“I feel like a man who has been laid off to be only trout fishing. …”

Heard about his passing yesterday, That's why I posted a note showing flies from him in the "What's in Your Vise" section.

Pescaphile

I was just commenting to friend a few days ago about the duck story from Dark Waters. It's been almost 25 years ago when I read it. He was absolutely right about duck (the meal) and duck hunters! I remember how weird it was reading an 'outdoors writer' incorporate some seedy subjects :eek::rolleyes: into the story.

RIP a great writer. I really enjoyed both Dark Waters and The Angler's Coast.

Hem

Would have liked to sip whiskey with him and Jim Harrison.
Russell's focus in life was pretty cool a very accomplished dude.
I became engaged at his restaurant in Livingston, still have the menu as a momento.
News of his passing was instantaneous in my circle......
Good reason to line a rod and fish today before heading to remote country on a deer hunt.

I was just commenting to friend a few days ago about the duck story from Dark Waters. It's been almost 25 years ago when I read it. He was absolutely right about duck (the meal) and duck hunters! I remember how weird it was reading an 'outdoors writer' incorporate some seedy subjects :eek::rolleyes: into the story.

RIP a great writer. I really enjoyed both Dark Waters and The Angler's Coast.
Dark Waters is one of my all time favorites. RIP Russell Chatham.

JS

This excerpt from the Introduction to “Silent Seasons” is just one reason we all envied Russell Chatham-

Tom McGuane once wrote in “Sports Illustrated”, with reference to (Chatham), the following: “I can see my friend and neighbor, a painter, walking along the high cutbank above the water. This would be a man who has ruined his life with sport. He skulks from his home at all hours with gun or rod. Today he has both.

“ ‘What are you doing?’

“ ‘Trout fishing and duck hunting.’

“I feel like a man who has been laid off to be only trout fishing. …”

Heard about his passing yesterday, That's why I posted a note showing flies from him in the "What's in Your Vise" section.
Thank you for sharing this. What a beautiful passage.

garyk

Wow. One of the very best of his era. At least he will always live on through his books.

I had to go over to the book case to see if my first edition An Anglers Coast was still there. Yes it is. Sandwiched, appropriately perhaps, right between the classics - Schwiebert's "Trout" and Ray Bergman's "Trout" .

Bob Smith

Pescaphile mentions it above but my all time favorite Russell Chatham essay is: "The Great Duck Misunderstanding" which I read in Gray's Sporting Journal many years ago. “All game, especially wild duck, should be cooked rare. If you don’t like it you should stick to gruel or corned beef hash.” That story introduced me to Chatham and made me thirsty for more. I recently passed on Angler's Coast to my grandson to read - he loved it. RIP...

Latest posts