How many species did you catch in 2019?

Shack

Aren't those extinct?
Supposed to be, although there's a tiny population that exhibits the majority of the physical looks of them although it's unclear how much (if any) actual Alvord genetics vs Lahontan genetics are involved.

Yeah they are functionally extinct. I posted a little blurb about them in the thread about summer too, but basically they were in 2 small streams in the alvord desert, those streams got stocked with rainbows and then the alvord cutthroat genetics got hybridized and overrun, then later people found the fish that I caught in a different, previously fishless stream, and were unsure of when they were stocked (if the stocking of the alvord occurred before or after the pure genetics of the original strain were lost). The stream they’re in has lahontans too, that’s where I caught the lahontan in the picture. So they’re a) not native to the stream they were caught in, b) might not be from a pure genetic line, and c) might have hybridized with lahontans as well. In my opinion, there is definitely at least a distinct difference between the alvords and the lahontans in the stream, and the alvords were bigger on average and held the best feeding lies. Here’s a pic of some of the “alvords”

E83F2695-D70E-4806-9BA6-AD9677C23AAD.jpeg
7BA3E64B-875B-4853-A49F-C15891B1A0B7.jpeg

Comparing the larger ones to larger lahontans, the spots look more grouped towards he back and the lateral red stripe is really pronounced along with the rosy cheeks. That could just be a function of their environment and the genetic selection though and not really proof of being alvords. I just kind of got sick of learning about trout and how pretty much all native populations are worse off now so I chose to be selectively optimistic about these ones haha. Worst case scenario, I caught some cool looking trout up to 14 inches in a stream I could jump across!

Shack

Rainbow
West slope
Sea Run
Brown
Lahontan
Cuttbow
Bull
Whitefish
King
Coho
Whatever those native NZ Salmon are
Perch
Blue gill
Sunfish
Bass
Chupacabra
Do you have to use wire leaders for chupacabra or is heavy mono okay?

JACKspASS

Rainbow
Westslope cutt
Steelhead
Brookie
Whitefish
Spring chinook
Pikeminnow
Smallmouth bass

I would like to add kokanee to list next yr

Paul Huffman

Driven by irrational exuberance.
Rainbow
Brown
Steelhead
Smallmouth
Largemouth
Spotted bass
Wiper
Bluegill
Red eared Sunfish
Rock bass

Next year greenback cutthroat!
A true fresh water rock bass Ambloplites rupestris? From a Washington Lake? I have long wanted to see one.

Smalma

Paul Huffman-

True rock bass are present in number of western Washington lakes centered around south Puget Sound (mostly in King, Pierce, and Thurston county).

Mingo -That is an impressive addition to a "life list" for a single year. Wonder how many others keep life time list of fish species caught?

Curt

Shad

No warm water fish for me this year. Gonna have to remember them next year.

Steelhead
Coastal cutthroat
Sea-run cutthroat
Bull trout
Rainbow
Chinook
Coho
Chum
Whitefish
Sucker
Pikeminnow

Kind of short list this year. Spent too much time chasing big ones.

Latest posts