Sort of Fly Tying Related

ceviche

...because that forum isn’t about drinking.

I tell you folks, sometimes it’s as if I have the attention span of a gnat. I’m trying to crunch through a good handful of flies, but it’s like I hit a wall. I’m sitting there all antsy, and can’t get myself to settle down. More often than not, I gotta knock back a snoot of whisky to start and keep “rewarding” myself for every one or three flies. At least until I’m able to keep my butt in place long enough to get the job done.

Anyone can relate?

Zak

Totally relate. I've decided I like tying one or two flies at a time. I'm not selling them, and I'm unfortunately not getting on the water enough to lose them very fast, so a couple a day is keeping my boxes full.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
When I got the shakes I just quit tying altogether. But that really does't relate to you sucking down the booze. But knowing you as I do I can't sympathize with you. What ever I was going to say went out the window as I was typing this drivel.

freestonebound

Yes, definitely. I find listening to music helps. So does winter. So does using up all your confidence flies on your last trip. So does knowing a friend who doesn't tie coming on a trip with you. Odd creatures... us tyer's are. I wish I could drink but ever since I quit smoking cigarettes... well alcohol is no good these days for me without a cigarette. Aww Damn! Now I'm getting antsy, I guess we all have our triggers!.

...because that forum isn’t about drinking.

I tell you folks, sometimes it’s as if I have the attention span of a gnat. I’m trying to crunch through a good handful of flies, but it’s like I hit a wall. I’m sitting there all antsy, and can’t get myself to settle down. More often than not, I gotta knock back a snoot of whisky to start and keep “rewarding” myself for every one or three flies. At least until I’m able to keep my butt in place long enough to get the job done.

Anyone can relate?
I feel like we are the same person, haha!

Also hard to ignore the wife and kids, so tying (drinking) time doesn't start till late. And then I reward myself often...sometimes after just completing one step of the fly!

quilbilly

gO dAwGs
Drinking never helped the quality of my tying, but it did extend the time it took.....
:)
I get the dogs set up in their beds, put on some music, and sit down at the vise.
Dogs like fly tying, the human is stationary for long periods of time....

ceviche

Yes, definitely. I find listening to music helps. So does winter. So does using up all your confidence flies on your last trip. So does knowing a friend who doesn't tie coming on a trip with you. Odd creatures... us tyer's are. I wish I could drink but ever since I quit smoking cigarettes... well alcohol is no good these days for me without a cigarette. Aww Damn! Now I'm getting antsy, I guess we all have our triggers!.
Music helps. I have a fly tying playlist in my iPod and a portable Bluetooth speaker.

Mark Mercer

I used to have similar issues till I started tying commercially then had no choice but to figure out a way to not go crazy thinking about dozens of flies. I'd suggest, figure out how many you want to tie (make it at least six) of the same pattern then prep the materials you will need to finish them. Basically start a assembly line and get started. I know kids, family can make it difficult but give it a try. And I never start without a good bottle of single malt at the ready :)

Mark Dankel

I find it easier to become fully present to, almost contemplative, about this kind of activity if I've first exhausted myself running, swimming, rowing, or some-such. But I tie one-at-a-time. I've no idea how you guys knock out dozens in a session, nor would I wish to.

Salmo_g

When I was young enough that I could tie without the aid of reading or any eyeglasses, I could sit and tie for hours at a time during an afternoon or evening. Once I got the first readers - expressly for fly tying, not reading yet - then I found I could only tie for about an hour at a time, sometimes less, and seldom longer than that.

Merle

Not New, Just rarely post...
When I was young enough that I could tie without the aid of reading or any eyeglasses, I could sit and tie for hours at a time during an afternoon or evening. Once I got the first readers - expressly for fly tying, not reading yet - then I found I could only tie for about an hour at a time, sometimes less, and seldom longer than that.
Same here - I know exactly how you feel.

-andy

ceviche

I don't think this dude is married. At least he wasn't when I fished with him.

Got married about five years ago.
I don't think this dude is married. At least he wasn't when I fished with him.
I’ve been with the same woman for something like 22 years now. My work kept getting in the way of marriage until about five years ago. Life of a sailor. Go figure...

Latest posts