Adding Measure Marks to Fly Rod

Mark Mercer

I always measure to the end of the rod handle then to the first stripping guide and forget both, so I just gave up and don't bother anymore. I do have a few marks on my net but but seldom look at them....I kinda like guessing.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
For those who mark their sinking lines, do you perform some quick geometry calculations based on the angle entering the water (with the optical correction of entering water of course) to calculate the actual depth? I'm genuinely curious how marking your line really helps....unless you're fishing vertically.

chief

You can always buy a Scott Radian. They come with marks at 12" and 20" already on the rod. Not necessarily cost effective, but it's an option.....;)

FinLuver

Nice...I have a couple of permanent paint pens that I used to make a 40" and 48" mark on my musky rod. Although, usually they can chill in the net for a bit untill I get the actual tape measure, which I'll do if they're mid-40" or above. The marks on the rod seem to be holding up petty well on their own. I like the idea of clear coat over them though.
The streams I fish don’t seem to have fish that big...
Would you suggest I throw the 40” and 48” marks on there, to scare the “average Joe” off my water? ;)

Shad

My fish come in size "ranges:"

"D"inks
"C"ookie cutters
"G"ood ones
Really good ones ("RG")
"H"ogs

Of course, the corresponding measurements vary by species, so I don't bother to mark up my rods.

All kidding aside, while I could usually care less how long a fish is (unless it's in the H class, and boy is that rare), I like the idea of marking slot limits on meat fishing rods. Good way to make sure you don't run afoul of the rules when harvesting a C or bigger....

Rock Creek Fan

I only C&R and rarely wonder/care about the length. When I do I use the rod. For my 4 piece rods it is 24" from the first joint to the reel. For my two piece rods it is 27" from the first eye to the reel. Smaller than that just means get the fish in the water faster because I wanna catch it's parents...

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
For those who mark their sinking lines, do you perform some quick geometry calculations based on the angle entering the water (with the optical correction of entering water of course) to calculate the actual depth? I'm genuinely curious how marking your line really helps....unless you're fishing vertically.
Got the idea from reading articles and posts like this.
I agree with Kent, mark the line in ten foot increments all the way to the end of the line. It will not only help you know what length of line you're casting, it can also help when you're fishing. As an example, if you know you've got 70 ft. of fly line out and you get a tug and miss the fish, you know approximately how much line you should have out on your next cast.

Last edited:

Latest posts