It's the most, wonderful time of the year!!

JACKspASS

Looking good Swimmy. The stoke is getting high. We are getting snow tonight, followed by a week of clear and cold. The season is here!

SilverFly

It’s a labor of love.

An OK start, but I must say I was looking for some asymmetry in your design composition this year (we've covered this before). Solid choice though with the primary design elements, I give you credit that the wreaths are authentic, and properly scaled.

That said, the window-centric placement, framed in the assertive orthogonal lines of the Tudor-esque façade, do tend to draw the eye unduly upwards. Fortunately, the left wreath being placed on the regressed, smaller dormer, does (narrowly) avert an utterly unacceptable duality of design foci competing for attention. The tension on the horizontals would have been an unbearable travesty. As is, there still exists a trace of ocular mimicry, for lack of a better term, but it can be ignored with minimal effort.

And please, DO tell me you are using a limited palette with regard to lighting?! I won't say I'll be disappointed if you don't go monochromatic, but... should you go with a polychromic scheme, the same asymmetric bias can be applied to complementary color combinations. I'd rather not name specific color pairs (they should be self-evident) but suffice it to say, chromic hyper-balance, could be considered a similarly offensive design duality trap. Perhaps though, not to the degree as a pair of unblinking "wreath eyes".

But please, carry on. I will be looking forward to some bold, yet tasteful statements this year. It's a tightrope, I know.

Last edited:

2kayaker

An OK start, but I must say I was looking for some asymmetry in your design composition this year (we've covered this before). Solid choice though with the primary design elements, I give you credit that the wreaths are authentic, and properly scaled.

That said, the window-centric placement, framed in the assertive orthogonal lines of the Tudor-esk façade, do tend to draw the eye unduly upwards. Fortunately, the left wreath being placed on the regressed, smaller dormer, does (narrowly) avert an utterly unacceptable duality of design foci competing for attention. The tension on the horizontals would have been an unbearable travesty. As is, there still exists a trace of ocular mimicry, for lack of a better term, but it can be ignored with minimal effort.

And please, DO tell me you are using a limited palette with regard to lighting?! I won't say I'll be disappointed if you don't go monochromatic, but... should you go with a polychromic scheme, the same asymmetric bias can be applied to complementary color combinations. I'd rather not name specific color pairs (they should be self-evident) but suffice it to say, chromic hyper-balance, could be considered a similarly offensive design duality trap. Perhaps though, not to the degree as a pair of unblinking "wreath eyes".

But please, carry on. I will be looking forward to some bold, yet tasteful statements this year. It's a tightrope, I know.
I take objection to your minimization of the ocular mimicry reflection of the two wreath - eyes. It's effect is hauntingly disturbing and reminds me of my mongaloid doppelgänger.
It’s a labor of love.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts

That said, the window-centric placement, framed in the assertive orthogonal lines of the Tudor-esk façade, do tend to draw the eye unduly upwards. Fortunately, the left wreath being placed on the regressed, smaller dormer, does (narrowly) avert an utterly unacceptable duality of design foci competing for attention. The tension on the horizontals would have been an unbearable travesty. As is, there still exists a trace of ocular mimicry, for lack of a better term, but it can be ignored with minimal effort.

Ok Boomer.

jasmillo

This may be the last place on the internet where a 40 something year old dude can use that phrase.

I know I almost dropped it once or twice jokingly myself in the Tesla thread.

Buzzy

Guy -
Perhaps we could get you to write reviews on wine tasting and food presentation photographs? You've certainly thrown Swimmy a challenge! A throw down!

Latest posts