NFR Vegans Need to get Down from their Soapbox!

Billy McFly

It really shouldn't be a laughing matter. Abdominal pain accounts for an insane amount of hospital visits a year. We are talking big bucks. Just in first hand experiance I don't recall taking care of many vegans for issues like gall bladders, bowel obstructions and so on. I think a key is balance and moderation and I'm quickly becoming a big fan of an elimination diet to see what causes your cramping, mood swings etc.

The average American eats 220 pounds of meat in a year. A lot of evidence points to this being too high and of poor quality. Moderation.
Alright, alright no more insensitive joking around. I have no problem with vegans or anyone else as long as they don't shove their views on me. That is what I thought this thread was about.
I choose not to drink but instead of preaching my views I volunteer to drive.

My wife and I have cut down on the amount of meat we eat over the last few years. Not as a conscience decision but in a general effort to eat a more healthy balanced diet. To late for my Gall Bladder though.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Alright, alright no more insensitive joking around. I have no problem with vegans or anyone else as long as they don't shove their views on me. That is what I thought this thread was about.
Indeed, and we were just pointing out the hypocrisy to some degree. It's okay to be a meat evangelist and make fun of people who choose to not eat it, but not the other way around.

No feelings hurt here or anything of the sort, I just find the whole "steak = manly and vegetables are only good for making more steak" jokes really, really played out.

FinLuver

A few times a year my wife and I join some friends at the Acropolis Steakhouse in South Portland. Only time I eat steak.

Few better ways to celebrate this great country than eating a steak at this establishment while drinking a liter of locally brewed beer, football game on in the background... and the other entertainment that makes this trip so worthwhile.

Tell me there's a better deal than this anywhere (and no, it's not reheated bullshit)
View attachment 217882
Is that meat shaved and inspected?

SilverFly

It really shouldn't be a laughing matter. Abdominal pain accounts for an insane amount of hospital visits a year. We are talking big bucks. Just in first hand experiance I don't recall taking care of many vegans for issues like gall bladders, bowel obstructions and so on. I think a key is balance and moderation and I'm quickly becoming a big fan of an elimination diet to see what causes your cramping, mood swings etc.

The average American eats 220 pounds of meat in a year. A lot of evidence points to this being too high and of poor quality. Moderation.
My wife and I tried a diet like that a few years ago. I have to admit, as tough as the first week or so was, I felt better and had more energy. The idea behind this diet was to identify your individual "inflammatory" foods. Basically you go on this awful "non-inflammatory" diet for a number of days, get to a stable weight (several pounds lighter) then start introducing suspect foods one at a time. Beef, it turns out is an inflammatory food for me. Every time I ate a steak or burger, I would go up a pound or so the next day. Calories and scale time were consistent and essentially controls, so there was reason to think this was temporary inflammatory gain.

I didn't have the same reaction with chicken or fish. My wife has issues with dairy, and so do her girls, so it almost seems genetic. That said, we've messed with diets enough to know the true evil foods in our house are carbs, which ironically are plant based (hmm). Even though beef is "inflammatory" to my system, I drop weight crazy fast when I manage to stay away from bread, pasta, and sugar.

Anyway, in spite of my previous Invasion of the Body Snatchers jab at vegans, I actually have respect for people taking a stand in something they believe in. Even if I don't agree with it. Like most here, what I object to is the rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth, Bible-thumper, "I'm-wonderful-and-you're-an-animal-kiling-POS", attitude. Sorry, but virtually every action we take, even breathing, affects animal life (and plant) somewhere and in some way. What these people don't get is some of us are hard-wired to hunt and fish. I'm only 2 generations removed from having to catch codfish in near freezing water or starve.

dflett68

Just in first hand experiance I don't recall taking care of many vegans for issues like gall bladders, bowel obstructions and so on..
moderation, agree. but this is america. give these kids 30 years to eat impossible burgers, impossible bacon, impossible chicken, impossible pork, etc., and as long as they don't exercise, the impossible will become possible - when they get to be about 45-50 their plumbing will be sufficiently fouled to blend right in at the hospital.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
moderation, agree. but this is america. give these kids 30 years to eat impossible burgers, impossible bacon, impossible chicken, impossible pork, etc., and as long as they don't exercise, the impossible will become possible - when they get to be about 45-50 their plumbing will be sufficiently fouled to blend right in at the hospital.
Plant-based faux meat is some serious bullshit. It's no better than any other highly-processed food.

quilbilly

gO dAwGs
I like beef, I eat beef, I always have.
These days we eat mostly stuff we raise, pork, chicken and turkey a lot. The garden kicks out a ton of veggies, so eat those too.

The beef we get from our neighbors is ok, but I still buy some killer steaks at times to grill to a perfect medium rare, and have with a nice red wine.
Don't really have an issue with vegans or anyone else at this point, even preachy whiney types don't bother me.
Much like Rob Allen, I just put them on ignore.
Problem solved.
:)

b_illymac

Staff member
I agree. What % of meat is even in a fast food burger? Like 30%? So an impossible burger probably just changes out the 30% to what? :confused:

dflett68

Plant-based faux meat is some serious bullshit. It's no better than any other highly-processed food.
that's really all i'm saying. but also that generally it takes half a life-time to bugger your body with meat. just getting old and not moving as much is a WAY bigger problem for most of us.

Latest posts