2019 Trout Spey Shootout

Steelhead

Looks like the 2019 Trident trout spey shoot out is online now. Pretty subjective like always but I agree with the winner.

Jakob B

I am surprised the Hydrogen didn't score higher...

I purchased one in the 4116 this summer (since being a college student doesn't give me the best budget for a Trout HD) and I cannot say enough good about that rod. It is a cannon and it is light, definitely not tip heavy granted you put the right reel on it. I chose the Grande 4/5/6 because I want to stop a summer steelhead or Alaskan bow if I need to. One thing about these shoot outs is the line you put on changes everything. For example only using SA lites, a line I definitely wouldn't pair with any of those rods. Now I think they did a great job in this shootout and I do think shootouts can be a great way to see what's on the market but as XP said they can be subjective.

10/10 would recommend the Hydrogen for anyone who doesn't want to go for the Sage rods price wise (those Trout HDs are something else). I work at a fly shop so I know a few things about the new rods, reels, lines, etc.

Jakob

Jim Darden

is it weird that all of the scandi recommendations are heavier than the skagit recommendations? isnt it normally the other way around?
It is more than weird, wonder if it is a misprint, I've never casted a rod where the scandi was heavier than the skagit.

Speyrod GB

Interesting results. The results regarding the Scandi and Skagit lines are definitely definitely out of whack or misprinted.

After casting several different rods this past fall, I purchased a Loomis Short Spey (41111). I currently use an Airflo 270 grain integrated Scandi on the rod. It works very well, especially if I add a poly-leader. My casting needs some work.

I will definitely going back to West Yellowstone next fall for the spey day to cast more rods.

ryc72

I have the imx pro 3wt and have tried 3 different scandi setups that I liked. recently spent a few hours casting a 280 grain 29ft scandi head and then 7ft of leader/tippet and that felt great. Good distance, laid out nice and straight. I also tried the 265 grain rio scandi body intermediate with a 10ft 60grain and then 7ft leader/tippet and that cast pretty well too. I’ve also tried the 230 grain 23ft rio scandi body with a 50 grain 10ft floater and then 7ft leader/tippet and that casts real nice as well. Maybe I should try the 330 grain scandi? The rod in general is pretty forgiving I guess.

According to trident then the 4wt should be using a 330-360 grain scandi head....just sounds heavy but maybe they’re right?

GOTY

6x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I think the only way the grain weights make sense is if they are exclusively using sustained anchor casts and calling it scandi casting because they have a Scandinavian shooting head on the reel. Either way they are wrong, and yet people are going to be shelling out a ton of cash based on this shit.

My head hurts.

ryc72

So they are doing t&g casts with 240 grain skagit heads and sustained anchor casts with 330 grain scandi heads? Eeeeeeeeesh. And I don’t think they mentioned what tips they used...length and grain. Maybe they just reversed the scandi and skagit? The scandi line recommendations seemed awfully specific.

Rob Allen

just a hunch: these guys don't know what makes a good Scandi rod. They complain about soft tips and strong bottom sections... which is what you want when doing touch and go scandi casting.

Sorry to disagree.. but regardless of casting style a strong tip that drives the load deep into a responsive butt section gives the best performance.

Casting style and rod flex are not related.

A good caster can touch and go a Skagit and t 14, bomb long casts with a long belly or shoot across the river with a scandi. All with the same rod with equal performance.
The whole concept of scandi rods vs skagit rods is faulty.

Last edited:

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
I am surprised the Hydrogen didn't score higher...

I purchased one in the 4116 this summer (since being a college student doesn't give me the best budget for a Trout HD) and I cannot say enough good about that rod. It is a cannon and it is light, definitely not tip heavy granted you put the right reel on it. I chose the Grande 4/5/6 because I want to stop a summer steelhead or Alaskan bow if I need to. One thing about these shoot outs is the line you put on changes everything. For example only using SA lites, a line I definitely wouldn't pair with any of those rods. Now I think they did a great job in this shootout and I do think shootouts can be a great way to see what's on the market but as XP said they can be subjective.

10/10 would recommend the Hydrogen for anyone who doesn't want to go for the Sage rods price wise (those Trout HDs are something else). I work at a fly shop so I know a few things about the new rods, reels, lines, etc.

Jakob
Why wouldn't you run a Speylite on them?

Latest posts