2019 Trout Spey Shootout

Gene S

is it weird that all of the scandi recommendations are heavier than the skagit recommendations? isnt it normally the other way around?
Skagit: SA Skagit Lite 240gr @ 13' = 18.5 grns per foot
Scandi: SA Scandi Lite 300gr @ 24' = 12.5 grns per foot
As far as the rod is concerned the skagit is heavier. Grains per foot...

Jakob B

Why wouldn't you run a Speylite on them?
I like the Airflo skagit compact much better on it, followed by a Skagit max short. Both of these lines just cast better. The Airflo SC even more so. I think Scientific Angler rules the game in trout lines and have some tapers on their lines that just cast way better than Rio. However when it comes to specialty lines (tropical, saltwater, Spey) I have found Airflo and Rio are superior here.

Jakob

doublespey

Steelhead-a-holic
Why wouldn't you run a Speylite on them?
A lot of personal preferences and brand loyalty get thrown around in discussing spey lines.

One of the original founders of OPST (Jerry French) now endorses the SpeyLite as the best of all the shorter (switch rod/trout spey) skagit and scandi lines. I'm also a big fan of SA's Spey Lite and run it on my ligher 4 and 5wt switch rods.

I still like the Airflo Scout, it's a great line. But I find the Spey Lite has a bit smoother turnover with tips.

Give each a try and see what you like.

Disclaimer -- I have no connection to SA other than I like their lines.

GOTY

6x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Trident used to post in here and try to sell stuff. Haven’t seen them in awhile.
I think it's because they were called out on their BS. First it was because they only rated rods that they sold highly, and gave rods they didn't sell shitty ranks. Second was the whole Scott meridian thing. Yes, that rod is universally considered an awesome rod, but part of their justification for rating it #1 was because they themselves were heavily involved in the design of it (Scott had sent them something like half a dozen prototypes for feedback). Of course they will rank it #1 when they helped design it....if they didn't rank it #1, then they are dissing themselves.

These whole rankings things are worthless. Just go cast rods you're interested in and pick for yourself what's best.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I think it's because they were called out on their BS. First it was because they only rated rods that they sold highly, and gave rods they didn't sell shitty ranks. Second was the whole Scott meridian thing. Yes, that rod is universally considered an awesome rod, but part of their justification for rating it #1 was because they themselves were heavily involved in the design of it (Scott had sent them something like half a dozen prototypes for feedback). Of course they will rank it #1 when they helped design it....if they didn't rank it #1, then they are dissing themselves.

These whole rankings things are worthless. Just go cast rods you're interested in and pick for yourself what's best.
I think you're mixing them up with the Yellowstone "shootouts"

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
I like the Airflo skagit compact much better on it, followed by a Skagit max short. Both of these lines just cast better. The Airflo SC even more so. I think Scientific Angler rules the game in trout lines and have some tapers on their lines that just cast way better than Rio. However when it comes to specialty lines (tropical, saltwater, Spey) I have found Airflo and Rio are superior here.

Jakob
Tough get any D loop with the compacts.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
is it weird that all of the scandi recommendations are heavier than the skagit recommendations? isnt it normally the other way around?
In my limited experience when I looked at for lines for my trout spey rod, the skagit line had less grains than the scandi line. For example, my commando head is 200 grain, but the recommended RIO scandi line for the same rod is either 270 (scandi short) or 305 (trout spey).

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
In my limited experience when I looked at for lines for my trout spey rod, the skagit line had less grains than the scandi line. For example, my commando head is 200 grain, but the recommended RIO scandi line for the same rod is either 270 (scandi short) or 305 (trout spey).
I think that's because on the Commando heads, they make recommendations based on a blown anchor and the sink tip factoring in to the total grain weight of the head. If you keep your anchor in the water, your Scandi shouldn't be heavier than a Skagit. The sink tip shouldn't be involved in the rod load on a sustained anchor cast.

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
A lot of personal preferences and brand loyalty get thrown around in discussing spey lines.

One of the original founders of OPST (Jerry French) now endorses the SpeyLite as the best of all the shorter (switch rod/trout spey) skagit and scandi lines. I'm also a big fan of SA's Spey Lite and run it on my ligher 4 and 5wt switch rods.

I still like the Airflo Scout, it's a great line. But I find the Spey Lite has a bit smoother turnover with tips.

Give each a try and see what you like.

Disclaimer -- I have no connection to SA other than I like their lines.
Yeah, I've been running a Speylite Intermediate integrated Skagit for a year on my hydrogen 2110, does everything I ask it to. More than satisfied

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
Not if you go slow enough
And then what Happens when you power into it? Anchor blows, and you don’t cast as far? My cast distance and forward speed are generally equal to the force of the D loop thrown the opposite direction.

I don’t know how much you’ve cast these micro Spey rods Rob, but it’s all about line speed. They throw laser beams for loops. Tightest I’ve cast and seen. Last year I had buddies who talked me into fishing coho and steelhead on one of their 11’6” 2wts. It was awesome fun. I was shocked at how good they cast!

Rob Allen

And then what Happens when you power into it? Anchor blows, and you don’t cast as far? My cast distance and forward speed are generally equal to the force of the D loop thrown the opposite direction.

I don’t know how much you’ve cast these micro Spey rods Rob, but it’s all about line speed. They throw laser beams for loops. Tightest I’ve cast and seen. Last year I had buddies who talked me into fishing coho and steelhead on one of their 11’6” 2wts. It was awesome fun. I was shocked at how good they cast!

If youre fishing a 11' 6" 2 wt. Distance isn't a concern.. light lines are by physics limited in distance casting. To cast further use longer lines that weigh more..

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
If youre fishing a 11' 6" 2 wt. Distance isn't a concern.. light lines are by physics limited in distance casting. To cast further use longer lines that weigh more..
Well both their rods shot the whole line and backing, and tugs for more line let out, most casts.

Can’t cast farther than the river, is across and downstream. None of these were heads either. Real lines. 2 wt speys from England.

I tell ya I was impressed.

landlocked

The further I go into the "trout spey" the more I'm inclined to say its not for the the Sex Dungeon enthusiast...which is damn disappointing.

Latest posts